Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I had better change job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOM-KICHI

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I work as a FPGA/LSI logic designer.
I am 43 years old now.
I am considering to change job now.
I have experienced logic verification using verilog,vhdl more than 10 years .
but,I have not had enough experience about logic designing.

Last month,I told circuit I designed is filled with bugs
from my boss.
I think I have no sense to design logic circuit.

Do you think I have to change job?

It's not clear; are you just starting to do logic design? If so, then OF COURSE you're going to make mistakes. Does your boss think you should change jobs?

I work as a FPGA/LSI logic designer.
I am 43 years old now.
I am considering to change job now.
I have experienced logic verification using verilog,vhdl more than 10 years .
but,I have not had enough experience about logic designing.

Last month,I told circuit I designed is filled with bugs
from my boss.
I think I have no sense to design logic circuit.

Do you think I have to change job?

If you are 43, and you still are just a designer, that doesn't sound great. You should have a senior type of position by now.

I can see how a change of course might help, but it certainly ain't easy.

If you are 43, and you still are just a designer, that doesn't sound great. You should have a senior type of position by now.

I can see how a change of course might help, but it certainly ain't easy.

From their own description they have never done any logic design, so yeah, they aren't a senior designer. What they are from their description is a senior verification engineer.

OP, verification and logic design are quite different from each other. As you've discovered doing logic design isn't the same as being a verification engineer.

You can either a) work really hard at learning Verilog/VHDL for logic synthesis and learn how to appropriately architect a design for FPGA implementation or b) go back to doing what you obviously have experience at...verification.

If you pick a) you'll have to start as a junior engineer. Starting off as a senior engineer will likely result in you getting demoted or fired, when you can't perform (I'm assuming this is the situation you are in right now).

Not all of us have the desire, tolerance or temperament
for management ("senior position") and some of us have
actively avoided that path. But so doing, leaves you on
a technical ladder that gets narrow and short of rungs.

It's tough to break into design if you didn't get in young
and hold on tight. And Big Digital has become more code
than transistor-herding (with the result that you need
to get smart about how code makes hardware bugs
and where's the pesticide best applied).

Within a large organization you probably are assigned a
pigeon-hole and if you squawk like a chicken you may
be destined for the fry-basket. But in some places you
might be able to negotiate some cross-training, where
you can contribute designing small manageable things
under the eye of a more senior designer, while you do
your part on the verification side as well. That's win-win
(if your bug-count drops consistently over time, and
reaches zero acceptably quickly).

Without any such experience you will probably not get
an opportunity to move into design full time, other than
at a small company desperate for help (and, can you
really help them at your current level of ability - aspirations
aside?).

Beware the career trap of "knowing more and more about
less and less until you know nothing at all". Unless you are
exactly where you want to be, and sure of it, and equally
sure that your customers (internal or external) will value
it more tomorrow than today. Impulse functions are
imaginary and useful only in theory.

Chip design and nothing but, 34 years and counting. It
can be done. But many have fallen off the ladder who
I knew and learned from.

I became Test Eng mgr after 6 yrs bleeding-edge R&D working with the best. I read every design handbook and magazine article description before graduating so I could get these jobs. I haven't stopped reading and learning, and had several companies close down on me with wide analog digital rf telemetry scada HDD magnetic and contract mfg experience, but never designed a high volume product until after 25 yrs grad. with bleeding edge experience , while at C-MAC from AVAYA. 10k racks/year Lots of late nites to deliver 1 prototype in 7 weeks instead of 8 and sacrifices to solve every problem later that had to be done. Outsourced mechanical design to metal benders and PCB design to my test Test Engineering Tech, and delegated where necessary.

Unless you have a passion for this and fix your own mistakes , try something else like selling custom electronics . I was lucky and sold 1 million 5mm LEDs to one customer because I knew how to find the best parts, write the best specs and deliver from payment in 2 weeks factory to my agent friend in HK and overseas. Made more money than a Sr Designer , in far less time but not without frustrations, in one year than any previous job. All after freedom 55 with no pensions. 10yrs later now, still happy and rich from real estate rise here and keep current with technology between hobbies and grandchildren.

DEtermine your passion, find jobs where they exist, with best interesting work, best people and best money. Pick any 2 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back