Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use OpenGL compatible GPU for non-3D rendering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought the BeagleBone Black breadboard containing a microprocessor unit which has built inside a single chip, both the CPU ( Texas AM3358/9 ) and the GPU ( PowerVR-5 ), and I will install and run QT with the OpenCV library, as I did before with other kit based on another Cortex-A8 variant. At that occasion I had noticed that the core-supported OpenGL graphic library do not implement too much useful basic image enhancement functions, such as histogram manipulation, linear convolution, standard filtering, morphological operations, etc...but oppositely, it provide a lot of advanced 3D rendering and drawing API’s that would be not necessary for what I´m planning to do.

I took a look in the OpenGL library tutorial, but it just confirms that assumption:

Therefore, I wish to know if there exists some way to take advantage of such GPU and utilize it even in a tricky manner, in order to do not waste the additional processing capability available at the chip so that I could achieve some extra processing acceleration performed by GPU hardware, that not in the firmware of the CPU.

I performed some researches on the web but could not find anything that satisfy that condition.
( Note: I’m not yet using this board due I’m currently playing with another kit, anyway I’m just acquainting with it )

Could someone give some insights on that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back