Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solve this Physics Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shweta_S

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In the fig attached Two mass M passes through Pulley
The Mass M moves with velocity u
What is the velocity of Mass K

Please provide explnation
Thanks[/img]

I don't see any attached figure.

sorry missed that
here it is

50_1163495301.gif

thanks

It is u/cos(x).
Draw the situation after a small time dt, and with some geometry you get the result.
Regards

Z

sfunds,
I'm assuming that "X" is the angle between the rope and vertical.
Velocity of a point on the rope(Vr) = velocity of M (Vm).
Then
Vk = Vm Cos(X)
Regards,
Kral

is it u/cos(x) or ucos(x) i am now confused can zorro post how he arrived at it. i thought i can arrive at it but couldnt pl post how you arrived at it

this is an easy problem.just resolve the tension into corresponding components n then using f=mg get the result

nijirazdan said:
this is an easy problem.just resolve the tension into corresponding components n then using f=mg get the result

How can the known force be used for solving velocity?

Hi,

The answer zorro gave is right one my professor said but he didnt explain.
Zorro can you please explain

Thanks

Here it is:

The movement of the three masses is vertical.
The length of the cord does not change.
So, when the mass M moves vertically an amount dym (downwards), in the same time the mass K moves vertically (upwards) an amount dyk such that the portion of the cord between the pulley and the new position of K is dym shorter.
Draw the positions at two times dt apart, such that the angle between the 1st and the 2dn position of the cord very small.
Draw a normal to the cord at the 1st position passing by K at the 2nd position. It is also normal to the cord at the 2dn one as dt->0.
Observe that dym=dyk*cos(X) [regardless of signs].
The speed of M is u=dym/dt; the speed of K is dyk/dt = u/cos(X).
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back