Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to operate with NIOS II processor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_tag

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I didnt understood how to operate with NIOS II processor. I synthesized the SOC from SOPC builder. but didnt understood what to do after that..?? And how to give instrucions to NIOS II processor. Also after interfacing flash and other devices (like 16x2 lcd) how can i save instructions in flash and then run those to display anyting on lcd..??

The tutorial provided with the SoPC builder and the 'Hello world' example is a good start.
The program for the NiOS is developed in an eclipse alike environment.
After writing the code, you will need to compile (build) and upload to the NiOS system. This is done with the USB blaster.

Regards

That is ok... But my problem is, say I want to build a program lets say a calculator, which will be having monitor as screen, and keyboard as input. so how should i design the UI for that calculator which runs on NIOS II processor.

To start with, the Nios processor doesn't provide a UI as such. However, there are a lot of I/O on the processor. You can even build your own peripherals in the SOPC builder.

To answer your questions, I can imagine that you would like to use a touchscreen as input device for your system. A touchscreen has some sort of interface (usually SPI). So you will need to add an SPI controller as peripheral to your system.
As output you can use an LCD. This device needs an LCD controller, which you can add to your SOPC sytem too. Make the necessary connections to the NiOS processor (data bus and address bus) and of you go.
Write your C-code to deal with the LCD as output and touchscreen as input, and that's it.
Well, at least that's the basic idea.

I found the Altera NiOS II Embedded Evaluation Kit very useful (Terasic - Main Board - Cyclone III - Altera Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit)

Best regards

Hi,

For sopc system and its c application using niosII IDE, look at below book
RAPID PROTOTYPING OF DIGITAL SYSTEMS SOPC EDITIONS

HTH
Shitansh Vaghela

Hi,

For sopc system and its c application using niosII IDE, look at below book
RAPID PROTOTYPING OF DIGITAL SYSTEMS SOPC EDITIONS

HTH
Shitansh Vaghela

Thanks Shitansh..