Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn linux basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu.kurapati

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one,

I want to learn the LINUX basics, my intention is to write the device drivers. I know how to write the firmware for the controller.

can any please share good material for to learn LINUX basics i.e path finder to write the LINUX device drivers in future.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandu.Kurapati.

How much experience do you have about linux? Are you a total beginner? If so I'd first recommend you get familiar with linux itself (particularly the command line). Writing linux device drivers isn't the easiest task though. Personally I bought a book ( https://it-ebooks.info/book/818/ ) that helped me get started to mod some existing wireless drivers. It has a chapter about linux kernel modules / device drivers in particular. You should also download the linux kernel source code, and browse through the modules source code. Everything is programmed in pure C language.

Hi Elight,

I'm totally new to the LINUX, please suggest good tutorial for me.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandu.Kurapati.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Elight,

I'm totally new to the LINUX, please suggest good tutorial for me.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandu.Kurapati.

I suggest you get a spare computer i.e. a cheap used laptop, and use it exclusively for linux. I'm assuming you already have a desktop PC, and since you're completely new to linux, I recommend you to install linux on another PC. It's to avoid installing two operating systems on a single computer and setting up dual booting, not to mention doing disk repartitioning. If something goes wrong it'd be a big hassle for you to fix it, so better play it safe.

Anyhow you might first want to download a live distribution CD and try it. This basically means you can download an ISO image of a certain linux distribution, burn it on a CD or DVD, and then boot your computer off that CD instead of windows (use the bios boot menu to choose your boot device). This will allow you to try the linux without having to install it first to a hard drive. You can play with it for the time being, but you may want to install it sometime because booting off a CD will make you lose all settings upon a reboot. There are many distributions out there, but I would personally recommend you a distro with decent community support, and a nice desktop such as Xubuntu. Another great choice is Linux Mint, but I would suggest you stay away from Ubuntu because it's current desktop is a chaos (variants like Xubuntu, Kubuntu should be ok).

Here's the website for xubuntu: https://xubuntu.org/
If you get in trouble there are popular community forums here: https://ubuntuforums.org/

Regards!

Hi every one,

I want to learn the LINUX basics, my intention is to write the device drivers. I know how to write the firmware for the controller.

can any please share good material for to learn LINUX basics i.e path finder to write the LINUX device drivers in future.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandu.Kurapati.
Only two things can teach Linux. Google being one and other is personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.