Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get from Q=X/R to Q=f0/Δf - Q is the quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVT

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The following is quoted from (**broken link removed**) Section titled : Q and bandwidth of a resonant circuit

"
The Q, quality factor, of a resonant circuit is a measure of the “goodness” or quality of a resonant circuit. A higher value for this figure of merit correspondes to a more narrow bandwith, which is desirable in many applications. More formally, Q is the ration of power stored to power dissipated in the circuit reactance and resistance, respectively:

Q = Pstored/Pdissipated = I2X/I2R
Q = X/R
where: X = Capacitive or Inductive reactance at resonance
R = Series resistance.

"

This definition of Q makes perfect sense to me.
Notice that in the above quote he already related Q to the bandwidth.

Other sources like wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor) states that Q = resonant frequency/ 3dB Bandwidth (Q=f0/Δf) which is not intuitive, specially in the light of the previous definition for Q in terms of Power stored and dissipated.

So how do I rewrite Q=X/R in terms of f,L,C etc to get to Q=f0/Δf.

This well help me to form an intuitive understanding of Q=f0/Δf.

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.