Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Find the J Volume (Current Density) using the Field Calculator in HFSS

Xeeshan143

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys, I would like the know how to find the J Volume/ Current Density by using the Field Calculator in HFSS. Your help will be appreciated, Thanks in Advance

You can plot it directly for any material that's been solved inside. What quantity are you trying to derive it from?
You can plot it directly for any material that's been solved inside. What quantity are you trying to derive it from?
--- Updated ---

--- Updated ---

Oh God, I wrote that I would like to find that by using the Field calculator, if its possible to measure the Average value like that (J Volume/Current Density).
There must be some calculation through which we can calculate.
Regarding to my Project: I designed a Coil and below there is a core and aluminum, Now I would like to find the Current density in the Core material.
But I don't know how to use the Field Calculator and the formulas and find it out......Please i would like somebody to help me out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your approach sounds wrong to me.
if its possible to measure the Average value like that (J Volume/Current Density).
Why do you want to average? Due to skin effect, current density varies a lot across the conductor. It makes sense to plot current density of conductors, but average value isn't very useful at RF frequencies.

Regarding to my Project: I designed a Coil and below there is a core and aluminum, Now I would like to find the Current density in the Core material.
What do you mean by "core material"? I assume that is the dielectric core material of your PCB. We can extract current density in conductors.
Do you want to get current density from dielectric loss, or what are you trying to do????
--- Updated ---

One more comment: You will have a lot of eddy current in your aluminium backplane, and inductance will drop a lot due to that conductor plane. It's like having a transformer with a shorted secondary.

Your approach sounds wrong to me.

Why do you want to average? Due to skin effect, current density varies a lot across the conductor. It makes sense to plot current density of conductors, but average value isn't very useful at RF frequencies.

What do you mean by "core material"? I assume that is the dielectric core material of your PCB. We can extract current density in conductors.
Do you want to get current density from dielectric loss, or what are you trying to do????
--- Updated ---

One more comment: You will have a lot of eddy current in your aluminium backplane, and inductance will drop a lot due to that conductor plane. It's like having a transformer with a shorted secondary.
Exactly, its okay, How I would measure, I would like to know the technique, its okay, let me know the way or technique, that I should measure the Current density in the coil or in the Aluminum plate, not by graphical way, I would like to measure it by using the Field Calculator.

Your help will be appreciated..

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back