Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW to compare two phase width in same signal wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xworld2008

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HOW to compare two phase width in same signal wire?(difference is ps level)?

_____________|—--|___________________|--------|_____________
--45ps-- ----50ps--------

any one have idea??

Thanks,

Sorry .. Should be pulse width. I want to measure the different of to pulse for a signal.

Can not.. we want to measure it using circuit design..

Measuring such short pulse widths is not easy. It typically requires some very high speed digital circuits. Not something for a novice.

could you suggest which high speed digital circuit can be used to do it?

A TDC chip would only get you down to around 20ps resolution so I suspect you need a custom device or custom circuitry. The TDC principles can possibly be used but you need even higher resolution. I have used Guide Technology boards in the past - they get down to 8ps. although the continuous ones get down to 2ps with averaging. This is fairly serious design to do that from scratch.

Keith

A TDC chip would only get you down to around 20ps resolution so I suspect you need a custom device or custom circuitry. The TDC principles can possibly be used but you need even higher resolution. I have used Guide Technology boards in the past - they get down to 8ps. although the continuous ones get down to 2ps with averaging. This is fairly serious design to do that from scratch.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks.. now i need a circuit to do it.

Search IEEE papers for TDCs (Time to Digital Converters) - it should give you some ideas about the techniques to use. Also, it is worthwhile searching for theses at the University of Oulu. They have done a lot of research for Noptel on laser rangefinders and as they were PhD or MSc theses the information is freely available. https://www.oulu.fi/english/

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.