Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I connect two pc power supples in parallel?

zxpa

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two old regulary working pc power supplies.
Is it possible to connect this two power supplies +12V outputs and Masses in parallel
to have +12 and more current from both ones?

Blueberry PSB400
1.jpg

JNC
MODEL: LC-B300ATX
1.jpg

I want to connect them in such way:
+12V output of first one and +12V output of secound one
Mass output of first one and Mass output of secound one

I considered this article:
{597} Connect 2 Power Supplies in Parallel to Get More Current

I suspected that it can be done so! But I am new to electronics so I must ask with this thread.

Yes I assembled it and I connected it on 220V incasedent bulb just until 60 Volts and the bulb shines a little the voltage normaly drops until about 30 Volts.
5.jpg

Hi,

in post#19 you wrote you built this circuit already.

But when I analyze the ciruit, I have my doubts.
There are some issues.
* It surely can not provide 5A for more than a couple of seconds reliably
* it has very high temperature drift
* it suffers from poor regulation
* it suffers from high output voltage ripple
* it misses an input capacitor
* it needs to handle at least 50Ap in L1, MOSFET and FR307 and 100uF (in DCM. less in CCM)

Besides this it´s not a circuit that an electroincs beginner can handle regarding PCB layout (wiring), part selection.
I don´t doubt that this circuit works for a short time and/or for low currents. But it definitely can´t work for 60V/5A for more than a minute. (as a guess, since I don´t know about how it is wired).

If you want to build something reliable and with rather decent specifications, then look for dedicated boost converter ICs and application notes from semiconductor manufacturers.

Klaus

KlausST
Besides this it´s not a circuit that an electroincs beginner can handle regarding PCB layout (wiring), part selection.
I understand what you tell me but I am a beginner.
I have assembled some simple circuits based on NE555.
I don't make PCB's.
I make drilled holes boards from wood (like Turret board) and I connect the components by wires and clamp wire connector.
I solder the NE555 pins to wires.

But it definitely can´t work for 60V/5A for more than a minute. (as a guess, since I don´t know about how it is wired).
For my Piezo horn use purpose it would be enough to work for just one minute at 60V and 1A.

It is original circuit I uploaded I found it at Google but I will upload my modified version.

Last edited:
I understand what you tell me but I am a beginner.
My opinion: better learn to do it properly. It´s not more difficult but it saves you nerves, time and mone

I have assembled some simple circuits based on NE555.
I don't make PCB's.
I make drilled holes boards from wood (like Turret board) and I connect the components by wires and clamp wire connector.
I solder the NE555 pins to wires.
Simple question: Did you at least try this for a short time with full load? (or at least 50%)

For my Piezo horn use purpose it would be enough to work for just one minute at 60V and 1A.
To be clear: it will kill itself.. sooner or later. In worst case with an explosion causing fire.

It is original circuit
Sorry to be honest: In my eyes it is a crappy circuit, a waste of time and money and it is dangerous.

It´s on you how you spend your time and money. I personally see no benefit in using this circuit.

* You may say you learn from it.

* I say you learn what already is known. I don´t need to learn that it hurts when I jump in front of a car. Others did that before .. with no real benefit for themselves.

There are many free and high quality tutorials around to teach you.
So you can chose to learn from experienced companies ... or from non educated hobbyists.
(Not that I want to generally make down hobbyists ... but in the case of your shown circuit .. I´m just honest with you)

I like to teach you how to do things right. But I don´t like to support you in burning down your house.
You chose.

Klaus

Simple question: Did you at least try this for a short time with full load? (or at least 50%)
No I didn't I can try it with the heater element.
Heater is 220V 1KW
To be clear: it will kill itself.. sooner or later. In worst case with an explosion causing fire.
I understand the risk so I will not do it.
Sorry to be honest: In my eyes it is a crappy circuit, a waste of time and money and it is dangerous.
Ok.

There are many free and high quality tutorials around to teach you.
So you can chose to learn from experienced companies ... or from non educated hobbyists.
(Not that I want to generally make down hobbyists ... but in the case of your shown circuit .. I´m just honest with you)

I like to teach you how to do things right. But I don´t like to support you in burning down your house.
You chose.
Yes I accept all your advices and I will take a care.
--- Updated ---

Please if you give me an example of some boost converter circuit diagrams with high power?
It can be based on NE555 but it does not have to be.
I see that there are many of them based on NE555 at Google and Youtube.
But me as a beginner I cannot make decision whitch to take to start assembling.
Concerning it to be safe in each case.

Last edited:
Isn't a bridged amplifier mentioned more than once in this thread? It's two amplifiers with the load bridged between their outputs. You may be able to use bridging as a method to give true bipolar AC to the load. There's a difference when we talk about the amplifiers vs. when we talk about the power supplies. All should have the same ground rail. However there are alternate hookups we can do with the other rail polarity...
Suppose you have two separate amplifiers, each having its output stage consisting of one half-bridge. One of your power supplies can drive one amplifier (half-bridge) and the other power supply can drive the other amplifier (half-bridge). I saw your post comparing measured voltages of the two power supplies. It helps that they're a close match. However the amplifiers are what determines what amplitude reaches the load (horn).

Construction techniques :

Manhatten - https://hackaday.com/2016/05/04/getting-ugly-dead-bugs-and-going-to-manhattan/

Google "manhattan electronic construction technique" to look at some possibilities. Also look at the
Google images tab.

Careful application will reduce interconnect L, but the pads do add C stray so be aware.

There is also this method, for parts of the circuit, than can be effective :

1713784947946.png

Of course well designed PCB best....

Regards, Dana.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back