Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Power 3 Phase DC Motor (Car Alternator) Controller In Progress - Stage One

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesBond001

Hi Guys

I am building a really powerful brushless motor controller for a car alternator, typically running at 25 A.

Check it out !
Photo0055[1].jpgPhoto0056[1].jpg

I have ask the question: what are you hoping to achieve by electrically turning a car alternator?

Incidentally, there seems to be a lot of components missing and you have very dry joints on all those shown. :grin:

Brian.

As far as i know, all car alternators have a brush for the armature.

That is correct.
For a "brushless" motor, the rotor would have to be a permanent magnet

It says it's a controller FOR a car alternator, it sounds like the design is to control a 3-phase motor which provides rotary power to the alternator. If it was for using the alternator as a power source (for example driven by an engine) it would normally be brushed as mentioned but even if it really had three phase windings they would normally go to rectifiers not power transistors.

What are you actually building JamesBond001 ?

Brian.
(who designed some of the technical looking props in 'Skyfall')!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back