Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with choosing a FPGA or a CPLD board

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindthomas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA/CPLD Programming and board development

Hi everyone.
I've now worked with FPGA's for about 2 weeks, and I would like to make a board my self. It doesn't have to be a FPGA board, it can be a CPLD board too.
Currently I've got Digilent's Basys2 board, and the Digilent FullSpeed USB JTAG programmer.

1. The thing I want to know is if anybody knows if it's possible to use this USB JTAG programmer with other devices like Altera, Lattice, Actel? I know it's possible to open SWF files with the Digilent programmer software, but does that mean that it can program other chips too?

2. I would also like to know what you would recommend to use as FPGA or CPLD.

3. I thought about trying the XC2C64A 64-macrocell CPLD from Xilinx, but then I saw the Actel FPGA's and they are cheaper.
So is it possible to program Actel FPGA's, like other FPGA's, or do they have some kind of protection?

4. Finally, if I want to go with Altera CPLD's, which one would you recommend?

Please check out my blog to see some of my current FPGA projects, which I made when I started learning VHDL. Remember I got the board and started learning about 2 weeks ago ;-)
**broken link removed**

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

Re: FPGA or CPLD Board

Is there any specific reason for you willing to learn CPLDs, if not, I find no reason why you should move to CPLD from FPGA.

If can program FPGA, CPLDs will be piece of cake. In general CPLDs are cheaper, less complex, have deterministic timing and can retain its configuration in internal EEPROM.

Because if I want to make my own board, it's easier to solder a 64-pin VQFP package than a 144-pin FPGA package!

Interesting, then I would suggest the one you mentioned by Xilinx will be good place to start.

Why? Because somehow I'm inclined towards user friendly ISE.

Good luck

PS: Your blog is pretty cool, keep up the good work. ;-)

Interesting, then I would suggest the one you mentioned by Xilinx will be good place to start.

Why? Because somehow I'm inclined towards user friendly ISE.

Good luck

PS: Your blog is pretty cool, keep up the good work. ;-)
Thank you...
I've uploaded a schematic of the new project with the CPLD, which is going to be a Dice game - with endless possibilities of course ;-)
**broken link removed**

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back