Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Get a N-FFT with two N/2-FFT already computed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasLM

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

After somme researchs on the web, I don't find the answer of my problem (or I don't understand it) and I hope this post will succeed.
I'm working on a real-time FFT convolution algorithm (C++) which split the impulse response in several increasing size blocks (64/128/256/...).
To realise the convolution, I have to split the incoming signal in blocks of the same sizes (64/128/...) to compute its FFts (when there is enough input signal to do this).

My idea is to use the FFts already computed to save some CPU time : with 2 FFts of 64 samples, I want to simulate the result of a FFT of 128 samples, ...

During the 1st step, we usually compute the FFT (128 samples (64 input samples and 64 zeropadding samples)
During the 2nd step, we usually compute the FFT (128 samples), and we join the 2 128-FFTs to create the 256-FFT
During the 3rd step, we usually compute the FFT (128 samples)
During the 4th step, we usually compute the FFT (128 samples), and we join the 2 128-FFTs to create the 256-FFT, and we join the 2 256-FFTs to create the 512-FFT
... and so on.

Little example:
1) x1 = {a, b, c, d, 0, 0, 0, 0}
X1 = fft(x1)

2) x2 = {e, f, g, h, 0, 0, 0, 0}
X2 = fft(x2)
X = X1+X2 might be equal to : fft({a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}

Is it even possible???

In my algorithm I use the AudioFFT library (https://github.com/HiFi-LoFi/AudioFFT) (Accelerate for Mac, FFTW for Windows and OouraFFT for Linux).
Its class return an array for the real part and an array for the imaginary part (the size of each array is N/2+1, where N is the FFT lenght).

For now, I succeeded to join the result of the two smalls FFT (FFT1, FFT2) to obtain the even bins of the large FFT (FFT0) : FFT0[0] = FFT1[0] + FFT2[0]
FFT0[1] = FFT1[1] - FFT2[1]
FFT0[2] = FFT1[2] + FFT2[2]
FFT0[3] = FFT1[3] - FFT2[3]

But, how can I get the odd bins??????

Thank you in advance and I hope I was clear enough (despite my bad English).
Please, ask me for more details if necessary.
Thanks.

Little correction :
FFT0[0] = FFT1[0] + FFT2[0]
FFT0[2] = FFT1[1] - FFT2[1]
FFT0[4] = FFT1[2] + FFT2[2]
FFT0[6] = FFT1[3] - FFT2[3]

Status
Not open for further replies.