Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating I2S signal: Difference between standard and left justified

Status
Not open for further replies.

knicklicht

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am trying to generate a correct I2S signal to interact with my PCM1681 DAC using my FPGA. By default it uses a left justified signal but I want to use the "standard" I2S format. The datasheet states the following:

pcm1681_def.png

Next you can see my current signal. The data line alternates between 0x000000 and 0xffffff every 256 left right cycles.
Overall:
i2s_signal_overall.png

Closeup:
i2s_signal_closeup.png

If I set the device to use left justified I see an analog square wave that alternates between 2.5V and 5V. This is because the first bit is set to 0 as per the standard I2S definition and I2S uses two's complement:

i2s_left_justified.png

However, when I set the device to use standard I2S I should see a signal alternating between 0V and 2.5V (omitting the offset). However, this is not the case:
i2s_standard.png

I have checked the signal again and again but I cannot find my mistake. I have also checked that I set the right value using I2C in register 0x09. Does someone see the issue?

Hi,

first:
Transmitter and receiver must match. They need to use the same format (setup)

What we see is the result of changing only one partner´s format.
Makes no sense.

The problem now is that in on case the MSB is decoded as SIGN, in the other case it is not decoded as SIGN.

signed: 0x000000 and 0xFFFFFF are just one LSB off. You are not able to see that tiny difference on a scope.
unsigned: 0x000000 and 0xFFFFFF are full scale off. You see full scale jump in output voltage.
(or half FS if decoded as shifted 1 bit right)

Klaus

Ah, yea I totally missed that. I thought that 0xFFFFFF in two's complement is -2^24/2 but it's -1 :-D . Thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.