Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] General Line Driver Datasheet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgchas

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for clarification regarding maximum continuous output current for the case where all pins are sourcing current continuously.

For example, the SN74HC244:
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/sn74hc244-62043.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, for the case where output voltage is between 0V and VCC, max continuous output current is 35mA.
Or, for the case where output voltage swing is not within that range, max output clamp current is 20mA.

But, for example, consider the case for all 8 output pins sourcing 15mA current at the same time. 8*15mA = 120mA.

If I am understanding this correctly, this case is exceeding the rating for continuous current through VCC or GND of 70mA?

..and if so, would limiting current out of each pin to 70mA/8 = 8.75mA max be the correct course of action?

..or perhaps to 6mA which is what the cover page of the datasheet shows to be output drive current for 5V?

Regards,
Charles

If I am understanding this correctly, this case is exceeding the rating for continuous current through VCC or GND of 70mA?

..and if so, would limiting current out of each pin to 70mA/8 = 8.75mA max be the correct course of action?
Yes, that's it.

Reactions: cgchas

cgchas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back