Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback transformer isolation requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaccabee

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to investigate if a flyback transformer is suitable for an application.

Product requires to pass EN 60255-5 dieletric tests of 2kV /50Hz and impulse tests of ±5kV 5 positives & 5 negatives 1,2/50µs.

So does this mean the transformer selected must have an isolation of atleast 5kVDC , or does a transformer with lower stated isolation (like 2kVrms) will withstand higher impulse test (>2kVrms) since it is a pulse wave form unlike 50Hz continuous sine wave used in dielectric test?

Experts plz convey your opinion..

Thanks,

As you approach the voltage limits of an insulator, stressing it with voltage degrades it, hence the specified number of pulses. Its a commercial judgement, design it down for the test or design it up for a long life with minimal complaints. I would be unhappy to think that my airliners electronics were built to JUST pass the test.
Frank

Thank you chuckey,

I would like to make the question little more clear..
Its basically the difference between Dielectric Test & Impulse Test impact on material.

Impulse test means short duration ( in my understanding ) so whether a dielectric would withstand higher voltage levels for that if material is specified for some isolation voltage..

for eg.. if we select a mosfet the continuous drain current may be 5A but peak pulse current rating may be 80A
I want to know if a similar concept is applicable here??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back