Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Designing a clock tree: looking for Integer-N PLLs / Buffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

oberstet

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am designing a clock tree / distribution network for my device, which has various clocking needs, and requires a stable, phase synchronous clock tree throughout the whole system for the following frequencies:

* 30.72 MHz
* 25.0 MHz
* 24.0 MHz

For that, I've designed the clock tree like this:

1. Clock source: TCXO at 38.4 MHz with 0.5ppm over -40 to +85°C (using Epson TG2016SMN 38.4000M-MCGNNM0)
2. /5 x 4 == 30.72MHz => 1x single-ended 50R
3. /192 (/64/3) x 125 == 25.00 MHz => 2x single-ended 50R
4. /8 x 5 == 24.00 MHz => 3x single-ended 50R

For mere 1:1 buffering as well as proper forming of the clipped-sine-wave output of the TCXO into LVCMOS (at 3.3V) I have identified the following chip as suitable:

Renesas 5PB1216 (a 2.5 V to 3.3 V 1:6 TCXO / LVCMOS High-Performance Clock Buffer)

My questions:

a) Anything wrong "in principle / general" with my clock tree design?
b) What I am missing is a simple solution for the integer multiplications/divisions that retains the clock stability, phase synchronicity and low phase noise.

I would be grateful for any tips or hints, in general, and specifically rgd suitable chips! A simple and cost effective solution .. I definitely would like to avoid adding "complex" things like an FPGA if possible.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

/Tobias

PS: I am actually a software engineer. And new to hardware. I am way out of my "normal" world, so please be gentle and forgiving with me. Your Karma will be happy, promise;)

The 4046 IC is popular for PLL. I doubt it works at the high frequencies you specify.
But it may be a lead to what you want.
This link shows how it multiplies x 10, with the help of 4017 (which can divide by ten or any lesser number). Many counter chips divide by various integers. Example, 7490.

Project article:

Hi,

what about TI´s CDCE9xx series, like CDCE913

Klaus

thank you both a lot for your comments!

funny enough, after spending last night learning and skimming distributors and through tons of datasheets, I basically arrived at almost the same chip as @KlausST suggested, just a variant, as I need 3 PLLs in the clock synthesizer:

Texas Instruments CDCE937

so I'm really glad for this tip, I'm a SW eng., so highly appreciated!

cheers,

/Tobias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back