Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Current measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosparra

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in the process of designing an intelligent battery monitor. Its for an RV where a freezer will be running off a 12V lead acid deep cycle battery. Just monitoring the voltage is not enough, since it will report a run down battery after the fact. I want to monitor the current draw of the load, to calculate an estimated time before the battery runs down.

My question is this: using a shunt resistor is not practical because the resistor will have to be huge. A 1ohm shunt resistor measuring 4 amp on a 12V battery will already have to handle 48W! Then we haven't even started measuring charging currents of at least 6A. What other way is there to measure up to 20A-30A in this environment, without using a shunt resistor?

I have looked at hall effect sensors, but is there another cheaper and more practical way of measuring DC current accurately?

A specialized resistor called"shunt resistor" is used for this purpose.Basically that is not normal carbon resistor but a piece of copper wire which can handle high current.
see this link
**broken link removed**

hope i helped you

Ok, that makes more sense. So, using that example, a 0.0005ohm resistor will dissipate 0.008W, when measuring 4A? I can live with that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Try MPJA.com have used their shunt resistors before and they are alot cheaper

You can use op-amp and trasistor based current mirrors.Do some google you may find lot of circuitry.

Umesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.