Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cpu usage goes up to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

zezoelec71

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
I have a trouble with my laptop that when I open any file or any folder or any program , the usage for CPU go up and up
and mostly the usage became 100% and the laptop goes slow and slow
any help please ?

Possibly your antivirus program going wrong. Do you have one installed? Only one?

Run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE - start Task Manager, or Start Menu/Run/taskmgr.exe)

click the CPU heading to sort by CPU time, descending.

Then try doing what seems to cause the problem. See what goes to the top in Task Manager. Report back.

Open task manager and on process card see what process have 99% or high usage of cpu time, try to kill (end) that process. Maybe you have virus/trojan in pc,...

1) minimize startup apps and keep watch.. a good free tool is www.Winpatrol.com
2) use light protection like recent browser with few add-ons and MSE for adequate light protection (dump the huge AV suites)
3) keep current backups of data
4) run combofix.exe fromwww.bleepingcomputer.com with my expert help or equiv. to remove trojans and send log. (Done on hundreds of PC users, so I have lots of experience) direct download >> free https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix
how to use (simple) one time use.. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

I boot to 20 processess tab in task mgr in XP and 30 in Win7. Most people have 2x ~ 4x this many.

Last edited:
I have avira in trying time , I have 10 days to finish my trying time
but when I open an excel file I see that 98 is the usage of excel process in task manager
and when I don't do anything I see that "system Idle process is 98 of CPU usage"
so what is solutions ?

Change that antivirus with some real antivirus like nod32 or similar (check testing certificates in various discipline, given by some publishers and organizations. Dont choose antivirus software by like how name sounds or interface makeup). Avira and AVG cant detect lots of trojans, specially if they trial version, even when detect cant remove before you pay them.

What is temp of cpu? Did zou recently check inside of case, specially cpu heatsink for dust ?

When system idle is 99% and you do not work enything this is ok, that means that pc rest. If you call some program (process) cpu time must be given to that process. When you start other programs situation is the same like with excel ?

Lots of rogues installed nefariously without Avira or NOD32 or AVG etc aware you installed it. Nothing is 100% secure. So monitor your startups and processes with tools like Winpatrol.exe and disable all unecessary services like Serach Indexer and use "everything.exe from www.voidtools.com" instead , use Procexp.exe instead of taskmgr.exe and send me c:\combofix.log when done.. important !

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Unless your Excel has massive pivot tables and/or you have < 2GB of RAM and/or disk has < 2GB of free space and/or your macro's are enabled, you could be infected.
try safe mode, or I can point you to a diagnostic log tool to show current status.

If this happen only with excel.exe process then I say that probably problem source not a virus. Maybe some problem with excel (office) I see several times like this problem with office, I resolve that with reinstallation of office.

System error logs may show somethings. But that is not a routine method of fixing Excel.
Does .xls have external links? macros? Vlookups to thousands of cells?
Consider upload to a google docs folder online and use Google Spreadsheet app.. or Open Office or Safe mode....

hello
I have a trouble with my laptop that when I open any file or any folder or any program , the usage for CPU go up and up
and mostly the usage became 100% and the laptop goes slow and slow
any help please ?

Check temp of cpu, open separate door for cpu and clean fins of heatsink, clean complete area from dust. Depends from laptop model and design if he have separate door for access to cpu. Maybe heat increases because poor cooling and protection slowdown cpu to protect cpu but to continue working, if you go ahead with working maybe complete shutdown possible.

best way to do forensics on "when I open any file or any folder or any program " is to run procmon.exe , free from https://live.sysinternals.com and trace the real time problems... but I can do easier for you with other methods. If you knew how to run this program and use it, you would not be having this problem.

**broken link removed**
Download DDS:

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:

Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt

A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.