Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could any Great Mind give Advice on career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Advice on career

Hi,

Could any Great Mind give me some advices on choosing career between Digital Designer (VLSI design) and Embedded system engineer(or firmware engineer)?
I'm a fresh-graduate and currently working as a Firmware Engineer for a few months, and there is an old company asking if i'm interested in doing Digital Design,which I specialized in IC design.However I'm fresh, so no experience in Digital Design too :(.

I'm myself not very good when working with algorithm since the firmware requires quite a lot of Algorithm development and I'm not sure if Digital Design will require the same thing as in HDL programming?

Any advice on whether I should switch to Digital Design.

In Singapore, I searched through job searching engines, I can easily find jobs for Firmware Engineer but not for Digital Designer. I rarely come across Digital Design jobs. Is that really the case in Singapore? Is it hard to find job in Digital Design in Singapore? Any expert view on this?

And how is Digital Design and Firmware prospect in the next 5-10-20 years? Should I take that into consideration?

This is very important to me. I Any advice on this will really help me.

Re: Advice on career

you are interested in Firmware development?

Hayo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi Hayo,

my suggestion to you is very simple. "follow you passion", choose a domain on which you are passionate about working. 10 years down the line that company may not exist but still its only your passion toward something you work that can keep you motivated.

These are 2 sides of a sword, the easier the job is to find, the lesser will be the pay and vice versa. Your long term goals should be driven by your own interest.

These is nothing called "best domain to work".

Hayo

Hi,
My experience is that engeneers with embedded programming/design plus PC programming (Delphi & C++) have the best relization in the life - inclusding better salary. Until you're very good only in one narrow area you could be trapped into this area, my advice is - try to spread in more areas - firmware, PC sprogramming, PCB design.

Hayo

Advice on career

Thank you everyone.
I'm kinda confused in wat I really want and like to do bcoz I got no experience in doing it.
I've been thinking a lot. I think I'll work as embedded Engineer for 1 to 2 years to figure out whether I like it. If not, I can switch back to Digital Design then.

Hi,
I have a quick question regarding to Digital design and Embedded system. How is the programming skill required differently between VHDL/Veilog and Firmware development? Which one requires more complicated algorithm and which has specific steps to follow?
Thanks

Hayo said:
I've been thinking a lot. I think I'll work as embedded Engineer for 1 to 2 years to figure out whether I like it. If not, I can switch back to Digital Design then.
I also think so.

There are more firmware jobs available than in IC design. The latter pay more, but you usually need years of experience to just get a job interview.

i think digital designer is better, because the VLSI design CO. move their design center to Asia gradually. 3-5-10 years later, u will find more and more digital designer will be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back