Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing equivalent parts in ADS simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamis288

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to simulate my Microwave 1GHz PCB in ADS. its PCB is extracted from the sample PCB in the datasheet. I got Gerber output from my PCB and ran co-simulation on that. now I want to place discrete component (resistor and capacitor) along with my PCB co-simulated schematic in schematic cell in ADS. the companies which produced those capacitors and resistors are determined in the datasheet but the problem is that the library for those companies are not available in ADS.
so what should I do?
2 solution to this problem comes to my mind:
1) I can use the C_pad1 model and then define the values of capacitors and resistors and their dimensions as per their datasheets. definitely I want to simulate my design in schematic. but I expect that dimension of my PCB and capacitor layout have the same proportion as the datasheet sample PCB. I mean , in layout, the dimensions of the capacitors for example, was much larger than that shown in the datasheet. maybe that is because of that I can not define the tolerance of dimensions in ADS.
2) I can use murata library in ADS. BUT, for a certain value of capacitor, murata capacitor may have a different dimensions compared to for example, ATC capacitors. I worry the differences between their dimension can change the result of simulations.
what should I do then?
any help would be appreciated.
thank you

Solution
but imagine that I would prefer to use a 0805-inch capacitor with value of 1.5 pf and also, I need that to perform in range of 100MHz to 2 GHz. finding an equivalent component would be exhausting.

It is not that difficult, using the components list on Murata website. Personally, I used Murata components for the actual design, so I use the exact type that will be used in hardware. Of course, there are other RLC libraries besides Murata.

The widest range of component libraries is available at Modelithics. They have the full library (payed product) and a free library with selected components.

I think I must have trade-off.by ignoring dimension, maybe I can choose a good murata capacitor. do you think so? BUT I worry about...
I don't understand your issue with component size.

For simple footprint components like C_Pad1 you would enter the actual pad size in that element.

The better solution would be to use an ADS component library. If you use the Murata library for example, you will find different size (0805, 0603, 0402 etc) in that library and can choose the physical size that fits your device. In the example below, I selected GRM02 series which has 0402 size.

murata_size.png

C_pad1.png

I don't understand your issue with component size.

For simple footprint components like C_Pad1 you would enter the actual pad size in that element.

The better solution would be to use an ADS component library. If you use the Murata library for example, you will find different size (0805, 0603, 0402 etc) in that library and can choose the physical size that fits your device. In the example below, I selected GRM02 series which has 0402 size.

View attachment 175784

View attachment 175783
first of all, thank you for your answer, Volker.
yes, I can find an equivalent capacitor with a specific value in murata library. but imagine that I would prefer to use a 0805-inch capacitor with value of 1.5 pf and also, I need that to perform in range of 100MHz to 2 GHz. finding an equivalent component would be exhausting. I think I must have trade-off.by ignoring dimension, maybe I can choose a good murata capacitor. do you think so? BUT I worry about the effect of capacitor's size.

but imagine that I would prefer to use a 0805-inch capacitor with value of 1.5 pf and also, I need that to perform in range of 100MHz to 2 GHz. finding an equivalent component would be exhausting.

It is not that difficult, using the components list on Murata website. Personally, I used Murata components for the actual design, so I use the exact type that will be used in hardware. Of course, there are other RLC libraries besides Murata.

The widest range of component libraries is available at Modelithics. They have the full library (payed product) and a free library with selected components.

I think I must have trade-off.by ignoring dimension, maybe I can choose a good murata capacitor. do you think so? BUT I worry about the effect of capacitor's size.

I don't understand why you want to ignore size. At 1 GHz it is not very critical, but why not specify the proper size in ADS? You can use C_Pad1 if you think component libraries are too difficult to use.

Solution

I don't understand why you want to ignore size. At 1 GHz it is not very critical, but why not specify the proper size in ADS? You can use C_Pad1 if you think component libraries are too difficult to use.
you are right. it is not that much difficult. for example, using digikey category, anyone can easily find appropriate capacitor as per requirement. thank you a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back