Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Characteristic Impedance vs Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
May I know the difference between Characteristic impedance and impedance?

Why we are always concerned about the characteristic impedance of a TX line.

In the TX Line impedance is not equal to the characteristic impedance,then the circuit not work?

Solution
Hi,

It is explained million times in the internet and there are even a lot of youtube videos.
Is it really neccessary to expain it again?
I mean: All the information is already given. It (the physics) won´t change with time.

In short:
The characteristic impedance (of a cable for example) is a physical characteristc. I does not depend on cable length and not on frequency (over a wide range).
It depends on the dimension of the wire pair dimensions (diameter, distance) and on the dielectric constant between them.
(It may be calculated by the characteristic [capacitance per length) and [inductance per length])
You need the characteristic impedance of a cbale for proper driving and terminating a signal line to get a clean signal...
Hi,

It is explained million times in the internet and there are even a lot of youtube videos.
Is it really neccessary to expain it again?
I mean: All the information is already given. It (the physics) won´t change with time.

In short:
The characteristic impedance (of a cable for example) is a physical characteristc. I does not depend on cable length and not on frequency (over a wide range).
It depends on the dimension of the wire pair dimensions (diameter, distance) and on the dielectric constant between them.
(It may be calculated by the characteristic [capacitance per length) and [inductance per length])
You need the characteristic impedance of a cbale for proper driving and terminating a signal line to get a clean signal at the receiver side without much echoing (ringing).

The impedance is a frequency dependent value. It uses the actual capacitance and the actual inductance, mabe even the ohmic resistance.
It may be used to calculate a voltage drop at a given current .. for example.

Klaus

I recommend to go through some internet documents and videos. Then please ask a more detailed question. Tell us what sources you refer to, what you understand and what you don´t understand.

Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back