Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CFL lamp blinks when off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipu606

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
this is a 32 watts 220V ac CFL lamp
when it is switched off for the night the lamp flickers or rather blinks at regular intervals of approx 1 minute even though there is no power supply to the bulb
Can anyone please give an explanation why it is
behaving in this eerie manner at night?
thanks

yes i read the post of amir81 but there is no neon indicator in my lamp switch.
Its a simple on/off switch
the lamp seems to light up for an instant then shuts off
amir81 said it was due to the large capacitor in the input stage
of the CFL circuit but how is it getting charged?
regards

this is a 32 watts 220V ac CFL lamp when it is switched off for the night the lamp flickers or rather blinks at regular intervals of approx 1 minute even though there is no power supply to the bulb Can anyone please give an explanation why it is behaving in this eerie manner at night? thanks
Most probably as i guess the connection must have a 2 way swicth by which the bulb can be controlled by both ends, and in one position the neutra is cut off and not the phase and this usually created the said problem. Or if it has a single switch, it is probably connected to the neutral line.
Cheers

i checked, the phase is indeed connected to the switch
@pranam77---no, there is no two way switch
The lamp was kept off all day and it did not blink at night
Only when the lamp is on all day ,it starts to blink at night
regards
EDIT:a particular brand of this energy saving lamp is showing this
blinking phenomenon
I changed to another brand and there is no more any blinking

Last edited:

We can explain this phenomena in two ways. Firstly it may be only Dielectric absobtion (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption) or Secondly any high frequency cable is passed closely to the switch output cable, then capasitive leakage current gets rectified and gets add with dielectric absobtion. As whole day on initiate blinking, so it clearly indicates dielectric absobtion is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back