Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors in a amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

olof102

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
replacing amplifier capacitor

Hello,
I have an old Kenwood amplifier that has worked well, but lately I feel the sound quality is not the same as it was 10 years ago. So instead of throwing it in the dumpster I'm thinking of replacing the essential capacitors.
The ones that are circled in green has already been replaced, yesterday.

Now the problem is that the red circled capacitors is "16v 22uF" and I only have "50v 22uF" at home. Would it work with those?

My second question is, if you guys have any tip on which more capacitors I should replace? To get better sound quality!

Close up on capacitors

Whole amplifier

Electrolytic caps are in danger to dry out after the years. It's mostly the case with power supply caps that carry high ripple currents, but can also happen to arbitrary exemplars. Elevated operation temperature are the most important factor in this regard. But how do you know, that the said capacitors are bad? In particular electromechanical switches and potentiometers are starting to show contact problems after decades, causing fading signal and scratching noise. Also various other parts made have lifetime limitations.

Systematic action would need a service manual and check specified bias currents and voltages, particularly of the power stage. Knowing the observed kind of quality reduction would allow an expert to presume some popular fault locations.

Using a higher voltage rating for capacitors is generally O.K., however.

Status
Not open for further replies.