Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I modified Zigbee stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobitavn89

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all!

I have some module EM260. I wonder if I can modify their stack to create new types of network. (Now, EM260 can form emberZnet which supports 3 types of mesh network: star, full mesh and Hybrid mesh)

nobitavn89 said:
Hi, all!

I have some module EM260. I wonder if I can modify their stack to create new types of network. (Now, EM260 can form emberZnet which supports 3 types of mesh network: star, full mesh and Hybrid mesh)

I doubt if they give all stack layers in open source but even if they do, what your goal really is? Build a standard of your own? Because even if you could modify the stack, how would you know that you didn't mess something up from ZigBee specification? In this way you would loose ZigBee certification and build something that has no recognition from no one. Except of course if your experience on ZigBee specification is so important, that you could build a stack of your own. But even then, you would need to take certification from the alliance.

If you mean something else that I didn't quite unerstand, please elaborate.

I doubt if they give all stack layers in open source but even if they do, what your goal really is? Build a standard of your own? Because even if you could modify the stack, how would you know that you didn't mess something up from ZigBee specification? In this way you would loose ZigBee certification and build something that has no recognition from no one. Except of course if your experience on ZigBee specification is so important, that you could build a stack of your own. But even then, you would need to take certification from the alliance.

If you mean something else that I didn't quite unerstand, please elaborate.

yes, I want to build new type of network which is full mesh and all nodes can sleep (ofcourse, I have to synchronize time sleep among nodes to avoid dropping packet). Therefore, I have desire to use IEEE802.15.4 for MAC and PHY layer, and modify their stack to build a new one. Should I do it? and with EM260, can I do it?
thanks!

nobitavn89 said:
yes, I want to build new type of network which is full mesh and all nodes can sleep (ofcourse, I have to synchronize time sleep among nodes to avoid dropping packet). Therefore, I have desire to use IEEE802.15.4 for MAC and PHY layer, and modify their stack to build a new one. Should I do it? and with EM260, can I do it?
thanks!

I don't know about EM260, I have never used it. I thing what you are asking is provided by ZigBee specification. Atmel implemented this in their latest stack release. I suppose that a certified ZigBee stack wouldn't change something that goes against specification . If EM260 modules do not implement that, then you could send them a mail and ask them or maybe search for another solution in another company before start building a stack of your own.:smile:

thank alexxx.
But I am using a board with PIC and EM 260, :(. Okie, I'll try to write them a mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.