Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can a microprocessor be programmed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnandu

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello frnds,

Am new to microprocessor and controller.. til date i learnt that microcontroller can be programmed with a c or asm program..but can a processor be programmed?? what i learned is that it cant be programmed but can be controlled by an microcontroller and work accordingly .. is this right?? n how about the clock pulses??? Am new to this please dnt mind if this question looks silly :sad:

Thanks and sorry for using abbreviation. Those seem helpful. I learnt a bit about PIC and at few places i have seen about 8051 microcontrollers. Which microcontroller is better?? does these microcontollers take same CCS C code???

There is no "a better microprocessor/microcontroller", it is all up to the task you require to do.
In general newer microcontrollers are easier to work with than older ones.
Just as example, the standard 8051 family has very few peripherials so sometimes (speed reasons, complexity of the work you need to do, ...) you have to be very expert to do what you need.
Newer microprocessors can be easier to work with, because their peripherials can simplify the developement.
I do not know if you are interested in trying to develop with some microprocessors, but you'd like and your requirements are not too high, maybe you can start to work using Arduino: even if I do not like it (personal reasons), it offers you LOTS of examples/source programs/extensions/... It is the ideal 8 bit platform for a newby.
Maybe other people in this forum will be able to suggest you better/cheaper developement platforms, but I think the one I suggested you gives you the most bang for the bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.