Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculate the minimum sampling rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani bindu

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A bandpass signal has lower frequency 1002.5 khz and higher frequency 1046 khz. Determine the minimum sampling rate so as to have a minimum guard band of 4khz between two spectrum replicas.

The signal bandwidth is 1046-1002.5 = 43.5kHz. Add a guard band of 4kHz and the required minimum sampling rate is 47.5kHz.

Sampling rate 47.5kHz to catch signal with frequency 1046 kHz?
Shouldn't be (1046 + 4) * 2 = 2100 kHz?

Shouldn't be (1046 + 4) * 2 = 2100 kHz?
The keyword is "bandpass signal". You can apply undersampling.

The signal bandwidth is 1046-1002.5 = 43.5kHz. Add a guard band of 4kHz and the required minimum sampling rate is 47.5kHz.
Not quite right. Also in bandpass sampling the sampling frequency must be at least double the signal bandwidth: fs >= 2B

Could you clarify this, FvM? From what you're saying, I guess we're not talking about complex baseband signals (which is what I'm familiar with). Was there something in the wording of the original question that made this clear?

Without quadrature sampling
Is it clear from the original question that this is the case? I'm worried that I've worked too much with complex baseband representation and can't recognise a real signal when I see it...

Is it clear from the original question that this is the case? I'm worried that I've worked too much with complex baseband representation and can't recognise a real signal when I see it...
It's not explicitely stated. But obviously the question is just an excercise problem about sampling. Complex signals and quadrature demodulation are advanced stuff beyond basic sampling theory.

I didn't even realize this background of your first post, I suspected a simple calculation error...

According to me, the frequenc must be (1046 + 2)*2 = 2096Khz.
For details, conside the diagram below...

aadxvro0.png

Here as we can see B represents our upper limit, ie., 1046kHz. now if on one side, we add a ban of 2kHz, we will get this 2k and another 2k from the periodic signal.. thus eventually a 4k guard band. Thus the sampling frequency must be 2*(1046 + 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back