Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Broken library in Cadence Virtuoso 6.18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin30

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with (at least the display and simulation) of a newly added library in Cadence. I was using the regular 180nm General Purpose PDK from TSMC, listed as tsmc18 on my system. I would like to use their BCD process. So I have added to my cds.lib file the line DEFINE tsmc18_BCD /path_to_the_PDK, and I can properly see that newly added library under the name tsmc18_BCD in my Library Manager.
I can see all the devices, but when I want to look at a device (layout, schematic, symbol...), everything appears as yellow. So it seems that, at least my display parameters are broken (but I believe it is a symptom of a larger problem). When I create a new working library that I attach tmsc18_BCD as technology library to, I cannot run any simulation, I get the following error message:

Error found by spectre during circuit read-in.
ERROR (SFE-868): "input.scs" 9: Cannot open the input file '/path_to_tsmc18_and_not_tsmc18_BCD/../models/spectre/c018bcd_gen2_v1d6_usage.scs' because either the file name or the directory specified is invalid. Ensure that the specified file exists and the path to the file is valid. Alternatively, use the -I <path> command-line option to specify the path to the file and rerun the simulation.

If I attach to my working library the tsmc18 technology library, then schematics are displayed properly, but I get the same error when trying to simulate.

I guess I understand that Virtuoso is looking for BCD models in the other library, meaning that my tsmc18_BCD is not properly added to Virtuoso. So, I understand that adding just a line to my cds.lib file was not enough to be able to use correctly this library. Could you help me figure out how to properly tell Virtuoso how to use the tsmc18_BCD library?

Thank you very much in advance!

Solution
This is not libraries, but simulator path setup. There ought to be an include-chain starting from the main spectre pile. But if you are asserting libraries that are not properly part of the master technology then key files may not be invoked in that "legit" include sequence.

I'd first step back and make sure technology setup points at a real flow that has what you want. This ain't your salad bar.
This is not libraries, but simulator path setup. There ought to be an include-chain starting from the main spectre pile. But if you are asserting libraries that are not properly part of the master technology then key files may not be invoked in that "legit" include sequence.

I'd first step back and make sure technology setup points at a real flow that has what you want. This ain't your salad bar.

Solution
Hello dick_freebird,

Sorry for my delayed response. Thank you very much for your reply. Indeed, you were right, it was not the library, but my configuration of Cadence. Problem solved now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.