Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BJT- thevenins or Voltage Divider to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankalani2003

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in BJT problems some use Voltage Divider to find Base voltage and then going to find other parameters.

in some cases they start from thevanins voltage,resistance and going to find other parameters.

question is when to use above methods in correct way.

The gain of the transistor shouldnt have an impact on which of the above you should use, personally i use the voltage divider theorem to find the base voltage and this is a good starting point to find out the rest of the values associated with the transistor.

I think the methods (voltage divide rule) and Thevenin's will give different results. Look at the attached figure:

The voltage divide rule makes the approximation that the current flow into the base is so small that it can be neglected. This is a reasonable approximation since expect the current through the 62k and 9.1k resistors to be of the order millamp while the current into the base is expected to be oforder microamp, i.e. a thousand times smaller.

In this case the current through the 9.1k is the same as the current through the 62k and then you can calculate the pd across the 9.1k as 9.1/(9.1 + 62)*16 V.

[As aside: In this particular example the pd between the base and ground is 2.05 V. Allowing for the 0.7 V drop across the BE junction this gives the pd across the .68k as 2.05 - 0.7 = 1.35 V. Now can calculate IE and if β is known then can determine IB to check the assumption]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back