Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Atmega8l--8pu name concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovin555

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in atmega8l-8pu ,what is 8pu?what is the significance of that?and also does 8l stands for low power operation?in atmega328p--PU....also what does pu means here?

but i still have a doubt...in datasheet it says for atmega8L-8PU we shud use 8Mhz crystal...but i used 16Mhz crystal and its working..so wats the point in that?can u explain???

Atmel sells the device guaranteed to work with 8MHz clock in the given voltage range.
Others have reported too that the device works with 16MHz but it works out of specs, no one can ensure that an internal section will not misbehave.
If you are experimenting then fine but would you use that for a commercial product?

Alex

no...am using it for college project only.....and thankzz for ur help...

if your supply is 5V you should use atmega8-16pu , and it would be guaranteed to work with 16MHz,

yeah am using 5V supply but with atmega8l-8pu with 16Mhz crystal

you are using it but it may fail at some conditions, if you are developing a comerial standard product use Atmega8-16pu instead.

It may overheat. Some peripherals may not work properly. It may malfunction. It may stop executing suddenly. It may act randomly. It may overheat and get destroyed. Or maybe nothing will happen. But since you're using it for a college project, why risk it? Run it at 8MHz. What compels you to run it at 16MHz? And if you must run it at 16MHz, use ATMEGA8-16PU. Better safe than sorry, don't you think?

yeah..sure...i got it....thanks everyone for ur help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back