Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Micro Circuit Diagram Knowledge Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinli

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been learning some circuits lately and I'd like to ask a question about this voltage regulator circuit.

1. It contains a voltage regulator chip, MIC5219-5.0, can this chip be replaced by 7805? Because I want to do the test on the breadboard. If so can someone provide the circuit with the 7805 and the required components?
2. LM7805, L7805CV linear, what is the difference between these 7805?
3. the picture contains a D2, what kind of diode is it? I'm not sure which diode I should buy when buying components for this.
4. If the well-made Micro is connected to the phone USB, is it necessary for this voltage regulator circuit to control the output voltage at 5V?

schem1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Your headline talks about Arduino, but it´s just a voltage regulator. It may be used with an Arduino device, but it may also be used with million other devices.

Generally:
You need to read the datasheet(s). It makes no sense that we read the datasheet and "copy" the informations here in this thread. I´d say no one has all dataheets with all the information in mind. So we need to read them, too.
Anyways: Some basic information:
* datasheet says max operating input voltage is 12V (instead of the written 16V)
* Your schematic says 16V/500mA, but this means 5.5W of power dissipation. This is too much for the tiny device. Expect no more than 1.5W.
--> either reduce the current or reduce the voltage

To the schematic:
* F1 is useless. It will never trip.It just increases dropout voltage.
* D2 type is missing
* what is "RAW"?
* U2 name is not the exact device P/N. Package type is missing.
* "resonator type" information is redundant.

1) a 7805 can be used with heatsink (for full 16V 500mA). The typical schematic is given in every 7805 datasheet.
Check if a breadboard is suitable for 500mA.

2) Either one needs to read the datasheets (usually "ordering information" section). I guess: Manufacturer, package, current rating..

3) I guess no one of us can answer this reliably. You need to aske the one who has drawn the schematic. We can just guess: reverse polarity protection. Voltage drop???

4) ??

Klaus

Thanks for your replies, I can now summarize these questions
1. 7805 can be used instead.
2. there is no difference, are 5V regulator circuit is just different models.
3. D2 diodes such as 1N4148 or 1N4001 are available.
4. USB itself is 5V, individual 5.2 V. Figure [SJ1] is the jumper with USB power supply when the USB power supply needs to be plugged into the shorting cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back