Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

am i correct in finding crystal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sos

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please tell me if my way of thinking is wrong--

find clock at which cpu of controller operates
ur crystal must be less than that freq

any help is appreciated

If your cpu can run @ say 16Mhz then you can use a 16Mhz crystal. Depending on CPU and depending on use you might choose a different value. Some microcontrollers
for example the 8051 will give you more baud rates for the serial port if you use a 11.032(if I remember correctly) Mhz crystal instead of a 12 Mhz

Actually i am making project on 68hc05j1a motorola controller.
it uses 2MHZ cpu so what crystal should i choose??
cant i use normally available crystal of 11MHZ ??

You can only use 2Mhz or slower crystal. Even though it might run with a slightly faster crystal I doubt if it would work with an 11Mhz crystal. If you cannot get the correct value, what about using it with an RC oscillator, I think it just requires a single resistor. Will not be as accurate as a crystal but will work ok for most applications

sos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
davidgrm said:
You can only use 2Mhz or slower crystal. Even though it might run with a slightly faster crystal I doubt if it would work with an 11Mhz crystal. If you cannot get the correct value, what about using it with an RC oscillator, I think it just requires a single resistor. Will not be as accurate as a crystal but will work ok for most applications

i think that the rc oscillator values wil be so chosen to give 2MHZ oscillation.
is that so?????

Check the data sheet on how to use rc oscillator

my problem is solved
i have ask instructor and he agrees to demonstrate on evaluation kit
so i dont need oscillator
anyway thanks for your help
see i have also thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor