Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AD736 RMS-DC Capacitor selection (amplitude error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsalty

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was looking at the top of page 14 of 20 on the AD736 data sheet

It states that the 8k scaling resistor along with Cc determine the -3dB low frequency roll-off (FL). Then it proceeds to state that at this FL, the amplitude error will be -3dB (or 30%). This makes perfect sense to me. But then it goes on to state that to reduce the error, to 0.5% of the reading, choose a value of Cc that sets FL at 1/10 of the lowest frequency to be measured. This does not make sense to me.

So if I am trying to measure a 1Vrms 200Hz sinusoid signal and set R = 8k and Cc = 100nF, then FL = 200Hz. This is the -3dB frequency, so the output signal would be 0.707 V instead of the correct 1V. So this is ~30% low as expected. But if I do what the data sheet suggests to reduce the error to 0.5% of the reading, I would select Cc = 1uF which would make FL = 20 Hz (i.e. 1/10 of the lowest frequency to be measured). But for a 1Vrms 200Hz sinusoid, that would result in an output of around 0.10 V (-20dB) which is around a 90% error.

If I did the inverse of what they suggest and set FL = 2000, then the output would be 0.995, or 0.5% error for a 1Vrms 200Hz sinusoid. Is this an error in the data sheet or am I just interpreting what they are saying incorrectly? Thanks for any help.
--- Updated ---

My apologies. I was missing the obvious until I typed this all in. Then I realized I was thinking it was discussing high frequency roll-off, but it is the low frequency roll off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back