Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Mains switching using solely parts available from JLCPCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvie

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
i want to make simple board for switching several AC outlets using microcontroller.
I am in Europe (240VAC, 50Hz, outlets usualy wired to 16A breaker).
I want to use this primarily for switching power to computers (ATX PSUs) and similar devices.

So far seems relatively simple.

The thing is that i want to use JLCPCB PCBA service to build the boards.
They can only source parts available in their JLC SMT library: https://jlcpcb.com/parts/

I am not sure what part to use to keep the design simple. They don't have beefy enough relays (electromagnetic or ssr), however they do have TRIACs up to spec. But i guess none of the TRIACs can handle the load without heatsinking... That would probably increase complexity of manualy assembly after the boards return from fab house.

What part would you use from their list to safely switch 16A 240VAC?
--- Updated ---

They seem to have this 16A triac. Is it ok to use it continuously at 16A without heatsink? There is no heatsink mentioned in the datasheet.

Last edited:

Even though the data sheet doesn't explicitly use the word "heat sink", it most certainly gives you thermal data.

Look at at Figure 3. For 180 degree conduction angle power dissipation at 16Amps is about 21 Watts. Thermal resistance with no heatsink is 55 K/W==> 21*55=1155 degrees junction temperature rise over ambient. That doesn't sound good to me...

But the question that I would ask, is: 'Why constrain yourself to a vendor who can't supply what you need?'

When a similar situation happened to an acquaintance in a prior project, he allowed JLCPCB to assemble the small, SMT devices and left the power devices blank.
Which were soldered later with the proper rated components.

I was originaly to include some generic relay footprint and source it localy. But it seems that every relay manufacturer uses custom footprint as some kind of vendor-lock-in strategy... Are there in fact some standartised relay footprints that i can use to be sure i will be able to source it localy from several different manufacturers? I know this is somewhat possible with automotive relays, but these tend to be rather big.

Also i would prefer to use solid state construction. But having TRIAC dissipate 20W does not seem to be a good idea wether i can cool it or not. I guess other TRIACs will be in similar ballpark of thermal losses... Are they some solid state switches that do not need such tremendous cooling?

Is there some common 16-20A Mains AC relay footprint used by lots of manufacturers that i can depend on being available globaly?

Status
Not open for further replies.