Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A simple microphone - need help in correct connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackaagony

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A simple microphone

Hi,

This is my first thread on this forum. After have studied electronic when I was younger, I let it down because of a lack of time. I try to work it back.

So, I decided to make a simple microphone of which I founded on https://www.planetharmonica.com/ph2/VF/TMI-mic.htm.

This is a really simple device, but I don't know every connections to make. My components differ from the picture :
- My dynamic mic has 3 pins instead of 2,
- My Jack connector is stereo instead of mono.

I think the jack won't be a problem, but the mic will. I don't know which pin (labeled 1, 2 or 3) to connect to the ground, to the potentiometer, and if I have to plug the last pin.

After have searched and reflected, I tryied something, but when trying on an amplifier, no sound was audible, at any angle of the rotative potentiometer.

Does someone here know the right connections?

Thank you for reading.

A simple microphone

My dynamic mic has 3 pins instead of 2
If it's really a dynamic microphone, only two terminals are be connected to the voice coil, you can check with an ohmmeter. I wonder, if it may be an three pin electret microphone instead. If so, it would need a power supply to generate an output signal.

Re: A simple microphone

Hi,

I did make a few tests with a multimeter, and the component was like dead. So I think a power supply is needed.

I think I'll buy some real dynamic mics and search for more informations about the ones I got.

Thank you FvM!

A simple microphone

I guess the "dynamic mike" you are refering to is a condensor mic which will naturally have 3 pins and will be having high resistance, when measured with a multimeter. It will require a power supply for 2 pins while the 3rd will give away the output. Dynamic mic will be a coil suspended between the poles of a magnet and when you measure the two ends of the coil with the multimeter, you'll find a resistance below 1000E in most of the cases and you'll hear a chirping sound from the coil as the DC from the multimeter passes through the coil and makes a sound.Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.