Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A 4-ch digital to analog converter - OPA277 or OPA4277?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wish to build a 4-channel digital to analog converter with bipolar outputs using TI TLV5614 DAC (see attached figure). As the output of TLV5614 is unipolar, external opamps are required to convert the unipolar signal to bipolar. I've two options, i.e. to use 4 pieces of OPA277 or one OPA4277. If cost is not a problem, which option that will result in lower noise operation?

Thanks.

I don't think it will affect noise but crosstalk between the channels will be worse with a quad IC. Sometimes that is quoted in the data sheet but I cannot see it for the OPA4227.

I am sure there was an article about just his subject in the last couple of weeks in Electronics Weekly or Electronics Product Design magazine but I cannot find it.

Keith.

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
OPA x277 (as well as OPA x227) has a channel separation specification in datasheet. You can determine yourself, if it already
affects your system performance. You should consider howver, that a more serious signal quality issue must be expected from DAC
glitches (specified as glitch energy).

But if you're not sure about crosstalk, simply use single OPs.

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
keith1200rs said:
...but crosstalk between the channels will be worse with a quad IC...Keith.
I dont no, but is not inpossible.
@powersys,
Otherwise, I think if the vendor is sure in hes subject with 4x pins as next ones of a 4x 12-Bit voltage-out DAC group; maybe in your 4xOpAmp it will be function too?
Surly is more simpler & higher chance to have a good 4x 12bit system if you select the single Ops_ draw the layout is lighter & better ignal quality is real!
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.