Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8layer PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayasree jayaraj

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to design a 8layer board using cadence Allegro. As I did only 2layer design I don't have much idea about more layers.can you please provide any tutorial or guidelines for 8layer designing.

It’s 4 times as many layers. What’s your question? some of your layers should be ground and power planes, but it’s up you; there’s no rules about what your 8 layers should be.

Hi,

I am trying to design a 8layer board

When I design: I design an application. And the application requirement tells how much layers I need to use. And for what "signals" these layers are used for.

It seems you doing it the other way round. You design an 8 layer board. Try to find which signals you want to route in the according layers.. then you look for an application which fits this requirement. Interesting....

I agree with Barry, there are no rules. But there are many discussions here in the forum and in the internet.

But most of them start with:
"I´m designing a HF board with ... requirements.."
"I´m designing a high densitiy FPGA board with ... interfaces... I/Os, devices..."
"I´m designing a high power inverter....."
"I´m designing a high precision multi channel data acquisition board.....with 16 bit precision and 10MHz bandwidth..."

Then it additionally depends whether / how much you want an autorouter to route the signals in the accrding layers.

Klaus

hi,
I have FPGA in my design..so how to add signal layers and how to route in those areas?
I think your problem is learning how to use the tool. I don't know Allegro, but I'm pretty confident there's some information on how to add layers to a design, and how to select what layer you're routing on. These are fundamental operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.