Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 5V 500mA from 5V 2A ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ESC is providing me a Battery Eliminator circuit which acts as an source of 5V 2A.

I want to drive my controller board which requires 5V 100mA + USB Camera & Pendrive which require 5V & around 200-300 mA.

So you have a 5v/2A source and a 5v/200mA load and you are asking for a circuit to connect one to the other ?
Why do you need a circuit, what am I missing?

@alexan_e, My controller board and all other device couldn't bear more than 500mA.

And my source is providing 5V 2A, So are you sure that it will not create any problem while connecting them??

I am asking this because I've already experienced such problem. I had a motor which couldn't tolerate more than 2 A & I had connected it with 12V 5A battery... & my motor had got burned !!!

So I am asking you this question.
I've ask to some professors of my college also.

Some has told me that the devices will draw the current as per their needs... no need to worry in this case.

some has told that you can't connect the battery of 5V 2A with the components which are not able to tolerate more than 500 mA.

Some has suggest me the solution of Zener diode, but I got to know that I can't use it as it requires more than 5.1V in input side which I don't have.

In short I am confused regarding this question. And as per my logic we can't feed the device with this battery without a current limiter circuit otherwise the following problem may get occur

Please guide me to solve this problem... I even don't know about whether it is a problem or not. & if it is a problem then how to solve it & if it isn't a problem then what is the concept behind that?

___________ Edited

I am sorry to for this error.. My source isn't of 5V 2A it is giving 5V 3A... (Just checked the datasheet again and found this)

A 5v/3A source can provide up to 3A to a load(s) , it can't force current to the load , it it the load that requests the current and gets as much as it needs, this is true for unregulated supplies or constant voltage supplies.

Consider a source of 5v/3A like a car that can run with max speed of 150Km/h, it is up to the driver (e.g load) to run with 50Km/h or 70 or 100 etc UP TO the available max.

A 5v/3A source can provide up to 3A to a load(s) , it can't force current to the load , it it the load that requests the current and gets as much as it needs, this is true for unregulated supplies or constant voltage supplies.

Consider a source of 5v/3A like a car that can run with max speed of 150Km/h, it is up to the driver (e.g load) to run with 50Km/h or 70 or 100 etc UP TO the available max.

Thank you sir I get it what you mean.
That's cleared my mind. So it was a forced problem (created by me!) but not an actual problem !!! Shameful thing but still I get improved.

Thanks again to all :)

The only case you will have problems is with constant current sources which unlike the constant voltage ones force current to the load, they increase the voltage across the load until they make it get the current that is set (assuming the voltage limit is not met first because they can only increase the voltage to a limited range).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back