Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D models of electronic components

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am looking for 3D models as step files for the electronic components like resistors, capacitors and ICs like SOIC 8, SOIC 16, DIP 20. I have not done 3D modelling of a PCB in the design tool. Please advice if there exist a database of 3D models in step file.

some manufacturers provide models in several formats, including step
your design tool may have a variety of components with models already
your design tool may have various models already defined for the ICs you list
your design tool may have a 3D model (& footprint) generator built in

I found the step files at the websites of Analog Devices and Texas Instruments. These step files contains 3D models of the components.

For most designs, just use the basic feature for extruding small devices such as resistors and caps. In fact for most designs to do an interference fit the basic extruded shape of the component volume will do. Using pretty models is only of benefit when you want pretty pictures of a PCB or you are doing silly tight designs (such as having a sintered heat spreader between boards in a sealed case, not fun to design), the extra geometry etc. add size to the text file etc.
I tend to avoid realistic models as said for small components, for a lot of basic stuff, realistic connectors will do.
Beware some of the component step files are done with surfaces, avoid these, they can cause issues later.
I had to draw my own models in the past as non were available in the early 2000's, we had to use IDF into a 3D package, then export the step file.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back