Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the correct way of connecting gates and drain/source in multiple MOS layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernerdzl

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey all,

i am confuse with the layout of multiple MOS. for example, i have a MOS with a size of 10 and assume i divided them evenly into 4 MOS with the size 2.5 each. may i know the correct way to connect the gates and drain/source?

should they connect in series or parallel as shown in the attachment and the reason why. please advise.

thank you so much and have a nice day.

best regards

Re: Multiple MOS layout

bernerdzl said:
may i know the correct way to connect the gates and drain/source?
should they connect in series or parallel as shown in the attachment and the reason why.
Always in parallel, always to one side (doesn't matter which one).
Why? Minimize parasitic capacitance!
S. the example from the CMOS Transistor Layout KungFu book below.

bernerdzl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Multiple MOS layout

it is better not to route metal wire right above transistor..

bernerdzl

In erikl's attachment, the second illustration is better than the third because the gates are not connected with poly. This reduces antenna effect during poly layer etching.

bernerdzl

Obviously in parallel, drain and source are interchangable.

it seems you are new to IC layout, Not to worry i would suggest you to first go through the basic IC layout books or tutorial and start doing it.........

bernerdzl

thank you so much for the help.

dipak.rf, can you pls suggest any good books or tutorials for beginners like me?

Thank you so much

Multiple MOS layout

IC layout basics by christoper and JUdy Saint is gud to start wiht... For more deeper understanding your can move on with art of analog layout

bernerdzl

Of couse you should connect S/D in parallel, respectively.
And connect gate all together.
You'd better to connect gate by metal rather than poly, and put more contacts (two is ok for most layout) if it will not hurt your area.

bernerdzl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back