+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Hello Guys,

    i am Developing the the Project where i have to use the Battery of any capacity.

    Application is Like:
    Microcontroller will Send signal in every 100ms (Data transmission time would be only 100uS in 100mS)

    Transmitting current will be 22mA MAX

    Now i want to calculate required battery Capacity for 300 days (Daily circuit will be on for 8 hours)

    Regards
    Marx

    •   Alt16th February 2017, 13:06

      advertising

        
       

  2. #2
    Advanced Member level 4
    Points: 7,307, Level: 20
    Easyrider83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    1,305
    Helped
    305 / 305
    Points
    7,307
    Level
    20

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    100uS / 100ms = 0.001
    So, basically, your device will operate 0.001 duty cycle in normal mode and 0.999 in idle mode.
    Let's imagine, that in idle mode it takes 1uA, and in normal mode 1mA. So, 0.999 * 0.001 + 0.001 * 1 = ~2uA average current. For 300 days = 300d * 24h * 2uA = 15mAH capacity needed.
    Love me or hate me. All infractions will be ignored.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Thank You..!!

    I am using an multiplexer 74HC4067

    I want to understand the Current of This Multiplexer when Mux is 100 % Loaded.

    What parameter in the datasheet mentioned that current..??

    So that i can also calculate the Battery Consumpion for the Multiplexer



  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 9,702, Level: 23

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,812
    Helped
    397 / 397
    Points
    9,702
    Level
    23

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjtpower View Post
    Microcontroller will Send signal in every 100ms (Data transmission time would be only 100uS in 100mS)

    Transmitting current will be 22mA MAX

    Now i want to calculate required battery Capacity for 300 days (Daily circuit will be on for 8 hours)
    You have not specified the idle current. The duty cycle is 0.1%; Avg current for 8 hrs will be 22uA. Add 5uA for the idle state and will be having total avg load 22/3+5=12uA cont for 24 hrs.

    365*24*12=105mAH for an year or 86mAH for 300 days. You can safely use a battery with double the capacity with low leakage (self-discharge current should be low).


    1 members found this post helpful.

    •   Alt16th February 2017, 15:27

      advertising

        
       

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Points: 41,683, Level: 49
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,530
    Helped
    2053 / 2053
    Points
    41,683
    Level
    49

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Hi,

    I am using an multiplexer 74HC4067
    If not otherwise noted: Expect the 4067 supply current to be independent of load current.

    It is a switch, so the power for the load will be supplied by the "transmitter" ... at the other endo fo the switch.

    Klaus



  6. #6
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by c_mitra View Post
    You have not specified the idle current. The duty cycle is 0.1%; Avg current for 8 hrs will be 22uA. Add 5uA for the idle state and will be having total avg load 22/3+5=12uA cont for 24 hrs.

    365*24*12=105mAH for an year or 86mAH for 300 days. You can safely use a battery with double the capacity with low leakage (self-discharge current should be low).
    Hi Mitra
    I don't know how 86mAH you calculated..?

    Here I have calculated like this
    22mA*(100uS/100mS)=22*0.001=0.022*8(hrs)*300=52.8mAH



    •   Alt16th February 2017, 18:39

      advertising

        
       

  7. #7
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider83 View Post
    100uS / 100ms = 0.001
    So, basically, your device will operate 0.001 duty cycle in normal mode and 0.999 in idle mode.
    Let's imagine, that in idle mode it takes 1uA, and in normal mode 1mA. So, 0.999 * 0.001 + 0.001 * 1 = ~2uA average current. For 300 days = 300d * 24h * 2uA = 15mAH capacity needed.
    Hi..
    It's fine that we got the average current..
    Let me understand that that average current consumed in 1 hour.. if consumed then where is the multiplier of 1 hour..?
    Like later multiply it by 24 hours and 300 days



  8. #8
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider83 View Post
    100uS / 100ms = 0.001
    So, basically, your device will operate 0.001 duty cycle in normal mode and 0.999 in idle mode.
    Let's imagine, that in idle mode it takes 1uA, and in normal mode 1mA. So, 0.999 * 0.001 + 0.001 * 1 = ~2uA average current. For 300 days = 300d * 24h * 2uA = 15mAH capacity needed.
    Does it means that in 1hour it takes only 2uA of current..??
    How..??
    or do we need to multiply it by the (second to hour)=60x60=3600..??
    Formal Doubt



  9. #9
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 9,702, Level: 23

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,812
    Helped
    397 / 397
    Points
    9,702
    Level
    23

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjtpower View Post
    Let me understand that that average current consumed in 1 hour.. if consumed then where is the multiplier of 1 hour..?
    Like later multiply it by 24 hours and 300 days
    Sorry for not being clear enough.

    First thing you need to understand that the AH specs does not bother about the voltage. However, we assume that the battery supplies the specified current for the specified duration while the voltage stays within usable limits.

    If the av current taken by the circuit is 7mA, you will need a battery of 7mAH capacity to run the same circuit for one hour.

    Using the same circuit, you can use for 300 days and 8 hours per day (2400 total hours) if you use a battery of capacity 2400X7 mAH=16800mAH or about 16 AH capacity battery. You can add 10-20% margin and round up to a round figure!!

    AH says about capacity (basically it is 3600 Coulombs)- but the specs are not easy to interpret.

    All batteries have leakage current OR self-discharge current that is being used EVEN IF you are not connecting it to anything. That is the reason battery will not last longer than the shelf life specified.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Thank you..!!



  11. #11
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 879, Level: 6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    138
    Helped
    1 / 1
    Points
    879
    Level
    6

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by c_mitra View Post
    Sorry for not being clear enough.

    First thing you need to understand that the AH specs does not bother about the voltage. However, we assume that the battery supplies the specified current for the specified duration while the voltage stays within usable limits.

    If the av current taken by the circuit is 7mA, you will need a battery of 7mAH capacity to run the same circuit for one hour.

    Using the same circuit, you can use for 300 days and 8 hours per day (2400 total hours) if you use a battery of capacity 2400X7 mAH=16800mAH or about 16 AH capacity battery. You can add 10-20% margin and round up to a round figure!!

    AH says about capacity (basically it is 3600 Coulombs)- but the specs are not easy to interpret.

    All batteries have leakage current OR self-discharge current that is being used EVEN IF you are not connecting it to anything. That is the reason battery will not last longer than the shelf life specified.
    Not Cleared enough.

    What my doubt is that,
    by datasheet IC is taking 22 mA (What is this..?? Average current..??)
    Now,
    by going the straight way calculations,
    22mA in 1 second then how much current in 1 uS..??
    by using cross multiplication
    22mA X1uS=1S x Required current
    Therefore, Required current=(22x10^-3)x(10^-6)/1=220x(10^-9)=220nA

    Now converting it into the 1 hour
    1 hour=60 Min=60x60second=3600 Second

    In 1 hour Current required will be,
    220nAX3600=792000X10^-9=0.79mA

    For 8 hours=0.79mAx8=1896mA
    For 300 days=1896mAX300=568800mAH

    Pls Elaborate your calculation step by step.



    •   Alt21st February 2017, 05:51

      advertising

        
       

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Points: 41,683, Level: 49
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,530
    Helped
    2053 / 2053
    Points
    41,683
    Level
    49

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Hi,

    I can't follow your calculations:
    (I didn't check if your initial values are correct)

    22mA in 1 second then how much current in 1 uS..??
    Maybe it's easier with a LED.
    A LED consumes 20mA. In one second, in one hour in one year...and in one us. 20mA when it is ON.
    But in your case it is ON only 100us in 100ms. This is 0.001. (No unit, because it is "second/second")
    So the average current is 20mA x 0.001 = 0.020mA. (Average ON time current)
    If now the LED cosumes 1mA (dim) during OFF time then
    The average OFF time current is 1mAx 0.999 = 0.999mA.
    The total average current is 0.999mA + 0.020mA = 1.019mA

    22mA X1uS=1S x Required current
    Therefore, Required current=(22x10^-3)x(10^-6)/1=220x(10^-9)=220nA
    The idea is wrong. And the calculation is wrong, too.
    (You could calculate charge per us: 22mA x 1us = 22nAs)

    220nAX3600=792000X10^-9=0.79mA
    22nAs x 3600s/h = 792nAh = 0.792uAh per hour,

    For 8 hours=0.79mAx8=1896mA
    The calculation is wrong.
    0.792uAh x 8 = 6.3336uAh is about 6.3uAh (per 8 hours)

    For 300 days=1896mAX300=568800mAH
    0.792uAh x 24 × 300 = 5790uAh = 5.7mAh

    Klaus


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 9,702, Level: 23

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,812
    Helped
    397 / 397
    Points
    9,702
    Level
    23

    Re: Battery Calculations for the Microcontrollers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjtpower View Post
    by datasheet IC is taking 22 mA (What is this..?? Average current..??)
    Now,
    by going the straight way calculations,
    22mA in 1 second then how much current in 1 uS..??
    by using cross multiplication
    22mA X1uS=1S x Required current
    Therefore, Required current=(22x10^-3)x(10^-6)/1=220x(10^-9)=220nA
    22mA is 22mA current; rate of flow of charge; it may be for 1 sec or 1 hour (it does not matter).

    22mA in 1 sec = 22 mC (ampere X sec = Coulombs)

    22mA in 1 us = 22 nC (m X u = n)

    If this current is only for 1 us and only once per sec, then we have 22 nC /s or 22 nA (this is avg current)

    Over one hour, we shall be having 22 nAH battery capacity is needed; 1 AH = 3600 C


    1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--