Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Powered JDM Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad13

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
jdm programmer

I saw this site with this interesting diagram. The author says that this simple circuit can be used to program the PIC16F84 and similar "flash memory" type parts. It uses a cheap 555 timer IC to generate the programming voltage from a +5V rail, allowing the circuit to be powered from a computer’s USB port.

The 555 timer (IC1) is configured as a free-running oscillator, with a frequency of about 6.5kHz. The output of the timer drives four 100nF capacitors and 1N4148 diodes wir-ed in a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier configuration. The output of the multiplier is switched through to the MCLR/Vpp pin of the PIC during programming via a 4N28 optocoupler.

24_1182388649.jpg

Diodes ZD1 and D5 between the MCLR/Vpp pin and ground clamp the output of the multiplier to about 13.6V, ensuring that the maximum input voltage (Vihh) of the PIC is not exceeded. A 100kΩ resistor pulls the pin down to a valid logic low level (Vil) when the optocoupler is not conducting.

The circuit is compatible with the popular "JDM" programmer, so can be used with supporting software such as "ICProg" (see http://www.ic-prog.com).

For the original web site click this:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102420/article.html

jdm usb

I think so.

But I still prefer building the gtp-usb programmer. It is also powered and interfaced thru usb. It also has a powerful software which support most PIC.

For those who have built this post your comment here.

:D:D

jdm programmer usb

I think the gtp-usb is an illegal clone and the firmware is somehow copyrighted ?

Or am I wrong ?

Added after 23 seconds:

Making it would be illegal - would it not ?

usb jdm

vsmGuy said:
I think the gtp-usb is an illegal clone and the firmware is somehow copyrighted ?

Or am I wrong ?

Making it would be illegal - would it not ?

I don't believe its illegal to make your own gtp-usb programmer because what I build is the lite version which is supported by winpic800 ver 3.55 g.

The illegal one was gtp-usb plus which is supported by the latest version of winpic800. It is almost impossible to have a firmware of gtp-usb plus but the firmware for gtp-usb lite is posted here in edaboard. So I still believethat it is legal.

jdm programmateur usb

you can also make yourself a icd2 clone (the one with full usb support - pic18f4550 and 16f877)
it is some more expensive, but it will program all the pics, and you can debug your program too...
this usb jdm programmer will not program modern pics, and as it is still rs232 it will be very slow to program big pics with 16k or more flash in it...
I built myself a gtp usb (lite) and an icd2 clone...

jdm usb programmer

I think we are veering off the topic..

:)

Has anyone built this programmer yet ?

jdm pic programmer usb

well I'm not veering off anything... :)
just wanted to say that this programmer is not worth building...
seems to work as it seems that nobody has built it ...

Added after 1 minutes:

there is also a "small" problem...
where is the pic firmware..???? :(

jdmprogrammer

Kripton2035 said:
well I'm not veering off anything... :)
just wanted to say that this programmer is not worth building...
seems to work as it seems that nobody has built it ...

You hit the nail on the head. It's yet another JDM programmer with a voltage multiplier.

Reactions: kendro

kendro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
jdm usb pic programmer

Kripton2035 said:
there is also a "small" problem...
where is the pic firmware..???? :(

Well my friend there is no need for the firmware because this is just another JDM programmer. The 16c/f84 in the diagram is a programming socket for similar kind of MCU. The connector on the other hand is used for microcontroller of different pin assignment.

Yes you may say that this programmer is not worth building...
But for others who just want to start on building their own programmer this may worth a try.

:D

make jdm programmer

The opto is a neat way to control VPP actually.
Here's a simple LVP for the occasional PIC hobbiest.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

build usb jdm

nomad13 said:
Well my friend there is no need for the firmware because this is just another JDM programmer. The 16c/f84 in the diagram is a programming socket for similar kind of MCU. The connector on the other hand is used for microcontroller of different pin assignment.

OK - I had not seen this !! no firmware needed...sorry

nomad13 said:
Yes you may say that this programmer is not worth building...
But for others who just want to start on building their own programmer this may worth a try.

I still maintain it's a bad idea... better build a simple jdm programmer... the only thing this programmer is valuable is for generating better 13v than the real jdm which relies on the rs232 voltages (that are quite never present on laptops...)
You will only be able to program old pics, not the new ones...
you'd better build a gtp usb lite, which is not more complicated, has a very nice software and will program almost all the pics today...
I have also build a jdm programmer a long time ago, was very happy with it, but now it's time to make better things...

programator jdm usb

I believe that JDM2 is the cimplest programmer..

If you want to build anything more.. first try the Inchworm+

Then an USB ICD2 clone

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
powered jdm programmer

if i want to make JDM version USB, how i do?

best regard,

badboy2007

build a jdm programmer

badboy2007 said:

best regard,

badboy2007

JDM is a serial port programmer and I dont know if anybody tried using a usb to serial converter on this. But for me it doesn't work so I switch to pickit2.

jdm enhanced programmer +usb

nomad13 said:
badboy2007 said:

best regard,

badboy2007

JDM is a serial port programmer and I dont know if anybody tried using a usb to serial converter on this. But for me it doesn't work so I switch to pickit2.

Sage advice.

jdm programmer usb powered

if i do like that, do it right?

or

i'm not yet test it !!!!

how to build a jdm programmer

badboy2007 said:
if i do like that, do it right?

or

i'm not yet test it !!!!

this is one is using which programmer as basis? which one did you modify?

Status
Not open for further replies.