Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you calculate the power consumption of your board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaha

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I need to estimate the power consumption of my board,

pls help me out,

regards

yam

here u had not mentioned what type board is.U can simply connect current meter in series with your main supply and calculate current consumptions and the u can calculate power required by formula V*I

Re: How do you calculate the power consumption of your board

hi

actually am in the schematic stage right now, i need to calculate the power requirement before layout since its a battery operated device

actually my board consists of both CMOS and TTL circuits (microcontroller, ram , flash, buffers, adcs, LCD)

Cud somebody upload a document, it wud be of real help

regards

yam

hi
you can try by simulating the sch in spice or any other tool, i think it is the best way else you can try by doing it manually section by section
basically at design itself we calculate the power rating before selection of components

bye
som

Hi
In begining state you calculate power by adding the max power consumption of each device for different volatage. Summation of power consumption of each device will be ur total power consumption

thanks for the replies,

actually what i found out is, for ttl ICs the power dissipation is fixed
ie Pcc = Vcc (ICCH + ICCL)/2

in case of CMOS ICs,
PD = (CPD+ CL).VDD2.f

it wud be very nice, if some cud elaborate with an example

regards
yam

You need to go through datasheets of all the components that you have used in your design and find out the maximum power consumption listed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back