Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best microcontroller for industrial purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiran2001

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the best microcontroller for industrial purposes?/

Re: best micros

This question has been asked too many times. I don't think that there is a MCU necessarily better than another. Rather it depend on the designer and the requirements of the design.

I agree that it makes sense to use what you are familiar with as this will allow you to exploit the features of the device rather than strugling with a new device, typically you will be able to produce better designs with devices you are familliar with.

Personally I use AVR,8051,PIC and some ARMs it all depends on what the design requires in terms of features.
Cheers
Slayer

Agree with Slayerza.

We all know that 8051 is the oldest MCU, so of course more people know about it and are using it well. I also read somewhere that PIC is for hobbyist only, but I did myself many times see the PICs in industrial equipments. I also heard people saying that PIC has better noise immunity than 8051.

So I agree that it is the best that you choose the MCU, which is your most familiar, that will ensure your best design and operation.

The one you learn it well.

best micros

Well, that is a not an easy question. I have worked with microcontrollers from Intel (8049 and 8051) and from motorola (68hc11 and 68HC908) the one I stick with is the 68hc908, it has everithing, timers, ports, ADC several chanells and a suitable Flash memory.

Added after 29 minutes:

I forgot. It also has a pretty good development package which is free

Hi

In most the times, it depends on cost and availability.

Regards
Nandhu

best micros

I would first agree with melc.

Then I would agree with nandhu015.

And then I would ask what kind of industrial design are we speaking about ?

A lot of EMI and EMC issues arise in the "industry" which turns whole projects around !

also depends on if you are going to buy development tools and software. If you do many developments you might also want to check out the whole 'Family' and see if there are small packages for small simple jobs and more enhanced packages for where more muscle is required.

Actually, PIC is very useful and reliable in industry.

nandhu015 said:
In most the times, it depends on cost and availability.
OP is working with industrial applications. That typically implies relatively small production runs and relatively high cost of the end product. So, I wouldn't consider cost of the silicon as a serious factor.
Availability - yes, very important.
Another factor (of paramount importance IMO) is availability of a good firmware development environment system.

I'm working in the field of medical/scientific/industrial instrumentation. My present choices are:
- NXP (Philips) LPC2000 (ARM7) family with IAR compiler.
- Microchip PIC family with CCS compiler. Not completely satisfied with the CCS compiler, it was a historic choice to use it. Will eventually switch to IAR for PIC family.

- Nick

best micros

Nick, nothing beats CCS in terms for cmmunity support.

I cannot proceed on a project that I need to port to HiTech because the forums are almost dead - something that have never happened on CCS!

The Cortex series is now a seriouscontender for LPC apps however, did you have a look at it?

funnynypd said:
I cannot proceed on a project that I need to port to HiTech because the forums are almost dead - something that have never happened on CCS!

Hi-Tech forum is dead? Are you serious?

Hell yes. See for yourself:

**broken link removed**

More than 2 days and no solution. People are not even aware of what library functions are available - the only answer I got was to read the damn datasheet and setup the registers explicitly.

That's nothing new to me, but I wonder what was the use of the PWM library and all those functions then.

By the way funnynypd, I had a very negative image about you UNTIL I started to see your threads on the microchip forum :)

What are you doing now a days besides selling MagicJack and ICD2/PK2? ;-) I kow you are doing a lot of stuff on your own - that's why I asked![/url]

vsmGuy said:
Nick, nothing beats CCS in terms for community support.
Yes, CCS has phenomenal community support. In fact, lots of community support is CCS's official support in disguise. The official documentation is mediocre, though. The compiler also has missfeatures like the one discussed here: https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118609

funnynypd said:
What do you like the best from IAR?
IAR has a good official support. Seminars are available in my area (Silicon Valley). Also, it’s a tool of choice of my clients and partners. So, there’s some local community support. The choice was just between IAR and Keil. From the posts in the online forums such as this one, it appears that the mindshare is split 50/50. But offline I couldn’t find a single person who used Keil. As an potential benefit, IAR has compilers for other uC families (most notably: PIC and MSP430).

best micros

I don't have friends at HiTech, but I was not talking about the product.

I never denied the product is any good.

The documentation and community support sucks. I gave you a thread to look at - track it and let me know if you feel any different.

funnynypd said:
By the way, even the best PICC18 is not a good choice for USB and Ethernet applications, try use C18 instead.

I am interested in knowing more about this!

Why do you say that?

best micros

In my opinion, in terms of performance and feature rich micros, i would either suggest AVR or MSP430 series of microcontrollers..

Status
Not open for further replies.