Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallelism vs pipelining

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitgvlsijune06

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
parallelism versus pipelining

please compare pipelining and parallelism wrt to
1.Speed 2.Area 3.best features 4.applications.
pdf's welcome

Parallel computing is the simultaneous execution of the same task (split up and specially adapted) on multiple processors in order to obtain results faster. The idea is based on the fact that the process of solving a problem usually can be divided into smaller tasks, which may be carried out simultaneously with some coordination.

A parallel computing system is a computer with more than one processor for parallel processing. In the past, each processor of a multiprocessing system always came in its own processor packaging, but recently-introduced multicore processors contain multiple logical processors in a single package.

There are many different kinds of parallel computers. They are distinguished by the kind of interconnection between processors (known as "processing elements" or PEs) and memory.

Pipelining is a method of increasing system performance and throughput. It takes advantage of the inherent parallelism in instructions. Instructions are divided into 5 stages : IF, ID, EX, MEM, WB. In pipelining, we try to execute 2 or more instructions at the same time thereby increasing the throughput. For more info on pipelining refer to the following website:

**broken link removed**

Added after 14 minutes:

With regards to Silicon area and speed, Pipelining takes up more Silicon area. This is because in hardware pipelining we duplicate the few units. In terms of speed, pipelining increases system performance and speed.

pipelining and parallelism

parallelism means we are using more hardware for the executing the desired task. in parallel computing more than one processors are running in parallel. there may be some dedicated hardware running in parallel for doing the specific task.

while the pipelining is an implementation technique in which multiple instructions are overlapped nin execution.

parallelism increases the performance but the area also increases.

in case of pipelining the performance and througput increases at the cost of pipelining registers area.
in pipelining there are different hazards like data hazards, control hazards etc.

u can contact me on my id; sanjay298@gmail.com for more information. i can help u because i am working on Design of a five stage pipelined RISC processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back