Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS: driven terminal Vs driven modal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetro78

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss driven modal driven terminal

Could someone explain me in a very simple and clear way what's the difference between DRIVEN MODAL and DRIVEN TERMINAL solution type in HFSS?

When should I use MODAL and when TERMINAL?

Please, use also examples.

Thank you!!

driven modal driven terminal

As explained in help:
driven terminal gives solutions in terms of voltages and current
while
driven modal uses power

Added after 19 minutes:

Specifically, Driven modal: S matrix is solved in terms of powers; Driven terminal:
S matrix is solved based on voltages and current

driven modal and driven terminal

please specify their applications!? i see both modal and terminal solution for patch antenna applications!
it these solution have different result for one simulation?

Reactions: newtech

newtech

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

SDGSF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hfss driven model vs driven terminal

Sorry I do not get the point.

Could someone make some examples to show when DT is suitable with respect to DM and viceversa?

I'll be grateful.

Bye

driven terminal hfss

i dont know exactly the applications of both but as per my little experience they both give same results,

hfss driven terminal or modal

whenever u r using coaxial feed (TEM excitations) use driven terminal and whenever u r using other modes of propagation like TE/TM or quasi TEm u have to use driven modal as there may be chances of higher mode excitations also so that will give u correct results.

Driven modal is OK for all applications

driven terminal driven modal

akedar said:
whenever u r using coaxial feed (TEM excitations) use driven terminal and whenever u r using other modes of propagation like TE/TM or quasi TEm u have to use driven modal as there may be chances of higher mode excitations also so that will give u correct results.

Driven modal is OK for all applications

The following are my experiences:
1. When dealing with single interconnect e.g. microstrip, CPW ==> use DM.
2. When dealing with multi-interconnect ==> use DT
3. In DM you need to define the integration line that specifies the direction of excitation field pattern at the port. When you know exactly the field pattern, also for higher-order modes ==> use DM, when not ==> DT
4. DT does not support the symmetric boundary condition
5. DM does not support the FWS.

hello
excuseme who can help me about my Q?
i simulated array of monopoles by HFSS and CST but their results are not compatible.

Hi,

You can use both all the time. Driven Terminal is easier to set up for all conditions, so unless you really want modal s-parameter data, I suggest you use driven terminal. Driven Modal for waveguides may give better results for some cases.

Joline.

Hi,

You can use both all the time. Driven Terminal is easier to set up for all conditions, so unless you really want modal s-parameter data, I suggest you use driven terminal. Driven Modal for waveguides may give better results for some cases.

Joline.

Yes you can use both all the time. But you might get different results. If your source structure does not support TEM modes then your definition of terminal voltage is ambiguous. I would not use DT, unless the source was a multi-conductor waveguide--as indicated in the product help. Only multi-conductor waveguides can support TEM modes with well defined terminal voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back