Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working principle of Successive approximation ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenehhk

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
adc working

In the world, there are three catagories of ADC. I would like to ask what is the working principle of the successive approximate ADC. I get the block diagram but I don't understand the working principle...:cry:

thx:)

adc working principle

From this time diagram you can see basic idea. First you test MSB (100000), if it is less than Vin, then MSB=1 else MSB=0. Then you test MSB-1 (110000) from the pisture you can see that it is greater than Vin, so MSB-1=0 (100000). Than you test MSB-2 (101000) from picture it is equal, but you need to test rest of the bits. And so on, and so on.....

successive approximation principle

the working principle is that you set the MSB as 1 and convert it to analog and compare it with the input and if the input is larger than this generated value then it is obvious that the MSB is 1 else it is 0... so you have found the MSB... now u keep the MSB as such and then find MSB-1 place and then so forth.....

adc working

Look through AN 1080 from Maxim
"Understanding SAR ADCs"

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.