Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with measuring the inductor area in PCB inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan_

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Plz Help,

I have one pcb inductor with PBG ground plane, with area 4mmx4mm, I have available to measurements NA and SMA connectors, but for inductor area is impossible make connections.
Is it possible make extensions using a complementer structure?

Thkz in advance

Re: Measure PCB inductor

You can reference on-chip inductor probing pads, and extend those pads to coxial connector by using uniform transmissionline, of course, you have to do proper de-embedding. Regards

Dear asdfaaa,

I was thinking about use microstrip line matching in 50omh on FR substrate Er=4.9, I have already simulated this setup, but them introduce many parasitic, capacitance and inductance.

Measure PCB inductor

Yes, there are too many parasitic capacitance/inductance from the the dark blue color metal plates (fringing capacitance to your ustripe pads, long via inductance). I will guess this piece of metal plate is for shielding purpose, am I right? From the observation of structure of your inductor, this metal plate will significantly reduce the inductance of your inductor. Pls refer the attached Ind design, which is measured by GSG RF probes, but you can use CPW line to extend your GSG probe to the edge of your PCB sample, where you can solder the SMA connector. My only concern could be the FR4 mightbe too loss at high frequency, which will bring us trouble to do de-embedding.

Regards,

Dear,

-the yellow plate is inductor ground plane.

-The dark blue and green plates means the FR4 extension to solder SMA conector, the small dark blue plate matching 50 ohms and by wirebond is connect to port1 and port2, the big dark blue plate means ground plane contact to inductor ground plane(Yellow) and fr4 ground plane (green).

-Using cpw to gsg connection or to sma extension I will have two grounds.

Thkz for you attention

Measure PCB inductor

It seems to me that the inductor ground plane is directly sitting on top of the big dark blue plate, will it affect your PBG inductor ground plane design? how did you assemble SMA connector, and what is your de-embedding structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back