Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The comparison of ARM and MIPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrstaha

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which is stronger MIPS or ARM?
Which is more commonly adopted MIPS or ARM?
Which is rising MIPS or ARM?

I have read about both and visited their websites and I got confused. I see that ARM is used in microcontrollers released by large semiconductor companies such as Texas, NXP, and ATMEL. While MIPS is used in dedicated applications such as VoIP.
Can you help decide which one to learn and to recommend for future applications?

Re: ARM or MIPS?

ARM was famous for the best overall performance to power-consumption ratio. The "Thumb" mode (16-bit instruction words) also reduced codesize. Both these features together helped ARM dominate the portable-electronics market. Today, ARM proessor is de-facto standard of mobile-handset/cellphone market.

In other consumer devices, where power-consumption is not as important, ARM shares the market with competitors (like MIPs.) In general, MIPs is more powerful (more work done per clock-cycle) than ARM, but consume more power. For example, the vast majority of TV-decoder platforms (cable/satellite/IPTV) contain an embedded MIPs core (or more than 1.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back