Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-Polarized Electrolitic Capacitor w/diode bypass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike6

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
non polarized capacitor

Non-polarized Electrolytic Capacitor:
A non-polarized electrolitic capacitor can be made by connecting two normal electrolitics back to back. However, does not this connection half the capactance of the pair? For example if I connect two 6800uf caps back to back is not the total circuit capacitance now 3400uf? However, if each cap is paralleled by a diode such that the back-biased cap is bypassed by its parallel diode would not this restore the full capacitance of 6800uf to the circuit and minimize the reverse voltage load on the back-biased cap as well?

non-polarized electrolytic capacitor

Yea -- you are right, except you would see a diode drop in voltage, so the cap would only be good for unipolar applications -- what I mean is, consider what happens when you apply a large sine wave across the cap -- you only have conduction of the diodes when the signal is bigger than 2 diode drops -- it's a lot like the crossover distortion encountered with a class-B amplifier.

Added after 1 hours 16 minutes:

Actually, I was thinking about diodes in series with the caps, and then those two branches in parallel. Sorry.... But I think the diode drop issue is still valid in general - you might still run into problems if you need to couple a large signal AC (i.e. bigger than 1-2 diode drops) voltage through the cap.

make non-polarized capacitor

lladnar23 -- Thanks for the reply.
I neglected to mention that my considered app is DC only, it's just that the DC poliarity gets reversed from time to time. So maybe it would still work OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back