Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium designer 6.6 routing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fala

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm using altium designer 6.6 for auto-routing. sometimes I define some rules that are pretty hard to satisfy so after a great percentage of routing had completed I have to stop the autorouter, redefine rules with more relax restrictions, lock previous tracks and run the autoroter again to route the remaining nets. for example I want my power track all be in bottom layer and all be 50 mils as long as it is possible. Obviously it is impossible for a very complex board with many hundreds of nets, so somewhere I have to give in and allow routing to be done also in another layer.
the problem is, when I want to re-run the autoroter some tracks that had been partially routed in previous routing session inhibit new routing success. I want to un-route them but it is impractical to do this by hand(it takes hours) and even so, small parts of some tracks may remain unseen under pads or other tracks. I usually select 'rip-up violation after routing' check box but it seems because DRC dose not regard them as violation they do remain. how can I select partially routed connections and un-route them??

one thing else How can I create a net class in PCB. I want to group some neighbour components and define some rules for their width and other properties. I tried TouchesRoom and WithinRoom but they return components and pads and tracks not nets and in rules for defining width I need to have a net class. Is it possible that I Have a special width rule for some parts of PCB e.g within a room?
Thanks a lot

The only way to unroute partially routed nets is manually.

Net classes are supposed to be defined in the schematic. However, you can define a class from the PCB editor by going to Design>Netlist>Edit Nets. The left box in the resulting dialog lets you add, edit, or delete net classes. Note that if you import the data from the schematic after manually defining a net class in the PCB, the software will try to remove the manually created PCB net class.

Yes, you can define a width rule for tracks in a room. You would use something like "IsTrack AND TouchesRoom(xxxx)" or "IsTrack AND WithinRoom(xxxx)". You can even use "OnLayer('TopLayer')" to further qualify the rule.

fala

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@ltium designer 6.6 routing problem

Hello House_Cat, Thank you for your help. I tried IsTrack AND TouchesRoom('xxx') but autorouter dose not listen. I defined different width definitions for different rooms and set their priorities but it seems autorouter always love to route with the least priority rule and ignore higher priority rules(except when I define rules using NetClass). when I check the query sentence in PCB Filter it correctly selects the tracks that I want but it seems in autorouter because I still has no track(they are all rat nests) these rules have no effect. Are you completely sure that IsTrack AND TouchesRoom('xxx') work in autorouter?
As I said my problem is to set width for different rooms that I define within PCB.
Thanks.

I was wrong. You are correct that an "IsTrack" rule won't have any effect for autorouting.

A way of handling your problem would be to use a width rule that says something like "InNet('xxx') AND TouchesRoom". Aside from net classes, that looks to be your only option.

fala

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back